Q&A Overnight Burn Vs. over firing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I understand that to achieve a long (overnight?) burn that you need to load up the firebox pretty well, and that you need to burn it HOT for the first 15 min. or so, before dampening down.My question is: with a fully loaded firebox burning HOT, isn't this an "overfiring" condition? My stove-top can get to 800-900 degrees easily with a much smaller load.Thanks for any suggestions.

Answer:

It is normal for some single wall surfaces on radiant stoves to reach 900 degrees for short periods of time. The 10-20 minutes that burn a new load briskly should not result in overfiring since the new wood that you placed in is relatively cold and cools down the firebox.Most overfiring is a result of burning lumber scraps, cardboard and other poor fuel. Properly sized wood and reasonable use should assure that your stove lasts many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.