Outside air makeup question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

They Call Me Pete

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2007
CT
Is there a limit to how long they can be ? Mine would be about 10 ft to reach my outside wall. The stove pulls air from every air lek in our old house. The more interesting part will be getting it through the 2 layers of brick on my hearth. Hoping I can pop out the bricks instead of drilling down through them

If you have an old house and you haven't taken very specific steps to air-seal it, it's a pretty good assumption that adding makeup air isn't going to make the house feel less drafty - the stove is not the biggest contributor to the draftiness...

Have you tried getting a blower door test? CT might provide them at low or no cost through a utility program or some other state-funded program. This will tell you where the major leaks are coming from and you can take specific steps to seal them.

Reactions: bholler
Its not terribly drafty just the old front and back doors which are on the list to be replaced this year. I can feel the cold air being pulled across the kitchen floor. I'm just trying to eliminate using the house air to feed the stove. Keep as much warm air in the house as i can. Thanks for the info though. May just check into it

Is there a limit to how long they can be ? Mine would be about 10 ft to reach my outside wall. The stove pulls air from every air lek in our old house. The more interesting part will be getting it through the 2 layers of brick on my hearth. Hoping I can pop out the bricks instead of drilling down through them
Mine is about 22', we insulated it with duct wrap..

I jumped to 4” for length and since heavier duct is available commonly in 4” and up.