Outside air - how to hook up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmonSTART

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
I'm hopefully going to get around to hooking up the outside air for our stove this weekend (if I have time), but don't know what type of tubing to use. Is there a specific type of tubing that's best for the job?

I will send specs in the morning. It must be metal of a certain minimal thickness which I will post in AM.

Corie said:
I will send specs in the morning. It must be metal of a certain minimal thickness which I will post in AM.
Corie,

What are your aspects as per using the basement or crawl space as the source of stove air as long as it meets specs?

Seems to me that cutting a outside hole in the home will just add more to cold air infiltration.

Just curious,
Jim

Not specific to your Englander but on my Hearthstone I used 3" flexible aluminum duct sold in lengths at the home depot. It allowed maximum flexibility, easy hookup, and relatively high heat resitance. I routed the duct down into my crawlspace and sealed up the penetration through my hearth with fireblock caulk. The duct is always cold from the outside air being sucked through it even when the stove is ripping hot.

I wanted non-combustible material being close to the stove. The only not so good thing about flex duct is that painting it black might prove to be a bad idea since the paint might flake.

There's a fellow from Alaska who recommended putting a "trap" in the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.