outdoor boiler value

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bennersaw

Feb 4, 2014
maine
Hi, I have a wood doctor outdoor boiler that is about 12 years old. It is an xtra large I believe. I know it holds 300 gallons and heated 2 2000 sq ft houses. No problems with it, just tired of going outside to feed it. I just wanted to get an idea of what it might be worth in the real world...

In 2007 I was where you are now, about the same age at that time as yours is now. Word of mouth found a buyer for mine, and if I remember correctly, about $800, and the buyer was responsible to pick it up and haul it away. Cash in my hand before the buyer touched the hog to haul it away. That was a smoke dragon par excellence, and I replaced it with my Tarm gasification boiler. Could not have been more satisfied.

SMoke dragon special hey Jebatty. I can imagine the fire tower guys must have loved you on a dry day. " Is thet a forest fire out that way? " "Nah, just that Jebatty guy starting his fire for the first time of the year." It's worth more in scrap steel!!! At 12 yrs old it migh have 3 yrs left. I would not take a chance with all the work for a few more years of service.

List it in Uncle Henry's. You might be surprised? In Maine, a non epa compliant boiler is worth a bit of money to those not informed.

IMO, jebatty's price is about right. Do as he said.....cash in hand before they touch it.

I'm in a similar situation right now. Just discovered this place, and am quickly learning the errors in my ways. I have had a central boiler 6048 since fall 2006. Getting ready to redesign my whole system. Good news is, my uncle wants my boiler. I almost feel dirty selling it anyone I know, knowing what I know now.

Reactions: flyingcow
In all honesty, my boiler smokes alot, burns alot of wood (I run a sawmill so I burn all my slabs) but it heats my house and goes for 24 hours. I do think I could fit about a half a cord in it per filling though...

My biggest complaint is wood consumption, followed by smoke. Other then that, I love it. This year is a little worse then most past years, But I'm burning through 2/3 - 1 cords a week. Getting sick of it.

As far as what it's worth, Look around and see if you can find someone. Like I said , my uncle has been interested for a while, and I'm jumping on it. Hoping to get half of what I got in it, and pretty sure I'll get it. Craigslist or ebay are my back up plan.

Last edited:
With that stove being in the Turple debacle , I think you'd be lucky to not have to pay someone to take it. But you never know, I just did some inside pictures of a 16 year old central for someone selling. Wanted to see the inside of the jacket and to prove it was still in good condition. And actually the steel looked great, better on inside that from outside. Usually I find inches deep of sediment sitting on the bottom, almost like sludge.

With what Lp prices have been this year you might be surprised on the interest that you get. Four years ago I sold a 10 year old Taylor 450 with 100 ft of pex in drain tile for $2000.

gg

Status
Not open for further replies.