Outdoor boiler placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Redwood rat

Jan 31, 2017
Redwood
new to this game as I just installed boiler last week. I have it on the north east corner of my house as this is least prevailing wind. I'm only about 20 ft from my house and am concerned about smoke getting into my second story on a northeast wind. My chimney has 4 sections but still a couple feet short of soffit.
Any info or advice would be muchly appreciated.

You have to get that chimney two sections above the peak otherwise your going to have smoke in the house the year round if you are burning the year round to make domestic hot water with your forest eater.

1. plan on renting 5 sections of scaffolding and pad feet and be sure to have scrap 2 by 12s and
shims for the foot pads to level the scaffolding ,

2. buying enough wire rope cable clamps and chimney clamp rings to '
secure the wire rope to the ground in 3 places with auger anchors setting one anchor at 4 o'clock, the second at 8 o'clock and the third one at 12 o'clock.

a. your going to have to secure the chimney stack with at least one cable and chimney clamp ring per section or two sections to the auger eye strictly depending on how much wind velocity you have to each auger in the ground so if you have 7 sections your going to need three sets of chimney clamp rings securing them from bottom to top making nine cables for the 7 sections and the chimney cap.

you can secure the X numbers of wire rope cable to a turnbuckle using wire rope thimbles and tightening each turnbuckle to a point where
the chimney stack is level starting with very low tension on each turnbuckle.

3. buying ten 2 by 12 by 12s for a work deck with doubled up floor made of the 2 by 12's.

==================================================================================================

you will need 150 feet of 1/4" plastic coated wire rope to start-so you are close to having enough coated wire rope.

16-20 1/4 inch cable clamps

4 chimney clamp rings at least

24 1/4" wire rope thimbles to start

3 earth anchors 24" long

3 turn buckles for the earth anchors to secure the wire rope thimbles

It would help to know what type of boiler you have. The downdraft G1 I'm burning (gasser) wouldn't be a problem 20 ft upwind from my house (obviously not preferable though). But an updraft "conventional" unit I'd want at least 50 ft away, downwind.
A tall stack out in the cold is going to have a strong tendency to condense too. I like a short chimney for low maintenance.

I'd watch how the air current tumbles over your roof line. That close to a building it may blow by easily, or tumble and suck back toward your soffit and then you've gotta go really high. Might be cheaper to move the boiler further away.

Hope this helps.

It would help to know what type of boiler you have. The downdraft G1 I'm burning (gasser) wouldn't be a problem 20 ft upwind from my house (obviously not preferable though). But an updraft "conventional" unit I'd want at least 50 ft away, downwind.
A tall stack out in the cold is going to have a strong tendency to condense too. I like a short chimney for low maintenance.

I'd watch how the air current tumbles over your roof line. That close to a building it may blow by easily, or tumble and suck back toward your soffit and then you've gotta go really high. Might be cheaper to move the boiler further away.

Hope this helps.

The boiler I have is a central boiler 5036. The distance to the upper soffit is more like 35 feet. Can the smoke actually get into the house? What happens if chimney condensates?? Does it bleed back into boiler or build up with creosote?

How much smoke gets in the house would depend on how tight your house is. You could drift smoke up in through the soffit vents into your attic and then get the smell in that way too.
I would think there is no way you can put a 35-foot chimney on a conventional updraft unit like you have and not have a lot of creosote problems. I would do maybe 12' max. ??
A CB is mild steel so condensation running down the chimney could rust it out. And plug the elbow on the back. And cause boiling issues due to air leakage through the solenoid...
Can be done but it gets tricky.
But 20' from the house might be enough to let the smoke blow by. Hope so.

Sent from my HTCD100LVW using Tapatalk

20 feet is unfortunately real close. I would run it for a week and see how it does. If it is not workable I think your only other decent option is to move it further away from the house. My old conventional was 60 and it was a good distance.

Reactions: E Yoder
20 feet is unfortunately real close. I would run it for a week and see how it does. If it is not workable I think your only other decent option is to move it further away from the house. My old conventional was 60 and it was a good distance.

Sorry. That was unclear. It is 35 ft away from the soffit. Not 35' high. The soffit is about 4 ft taller than current 12' chimney on boiler. I have not had an east wind since I started boiler so no smoke towards house. But wondering what will happen when first strong east wind hits.

Sorry. That was unclear. It is 35 ft away from the soffit. Not 35' high. The soffit is about 4 ft taller than current 12' chimney on boiler. I have not had an east wind since I started boiler so no smoke towards house. But wondering what will happen when first strong east wind hits.
Or the heavily overcast days when the smoke sinks instead of rising.

120 ft. To the east. If I did it over again I'd bring it to about 75' but hey it's done!

Sent from my HTCD100LVW using Tapatalk

Mine is 150' away, it is a gasifier. I may wish I put it closer when I get older though...

NH the stack has to be 2' feet the roof of the nearest neighbors house within 300 feet, http://www.des.nh.gov/media/pr/documents/080812_wood.pdf . If the owner is unwise enough to install it closer to their own family the state cant do much about it except recommend that the children get screened for respiratory issues. My neighbor started with a stub stack and ended up having to add 30 feet of stack with a pole next to it to support the stack. His boiler sits lower then my house and is about 150 feet away, I have a smoke detector in my attic and it used to go off on occasion if the conditions were right. His stack extension and my going to cold roof system on the back of my house solved the smoke detector issue. The pollution is worse during shoulder season as the boiler is vastly oversized, oil is cheap the last two years so he runs oil in the shoulder season and only fires up the smudgepot when its cold. His install is still not legit but once added the extra stack length it got a lot better.