Our flue after 3 months

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nigel459

Feeling the Heat
Oct 24, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hi all, thanks for looking. Here's a shot of our flue three months after the install. Probably burned 90% of the time. BK Sirocco 20.1. The little buildup was flaking right off in lightweight chips that would curl up like cinnamon sticks, or crumble if handled, and looked brown on the outside of the little "sticks". You can see one spot a flake has come off just on its own.

Been following the BK prescription, i.e. 20 min. hot burns to char, wood is ash @ 18~22%, (split at room temp and tested), so not all splits are perfect MC.

We will do a good cleanup after the burning season but anything to worry about until then?

Our flue after 3 months

Looks good. Real smart to check the chimney before you have a problem. If you can sweep it and see what comes out is the best. The first year is always the worst. Poor quality wood, and burning techniques are the norm. It shows up as blacken glass, plugged up gooey cap screen.

Looks good to me, but creosote condensation happens on the cool parts of the pipe- so the top is always the worst. Check that part out too.
Will do. Binoculars reveal no visible buildup on the screen in the cap, but I’ll go up and have a look, just as soon as the weather allows!

Looks good. Real smart to check the chimney before you have a problem. If you can sweep it and see what comes out is the best. The first year is always the worst. Poor quality wood, and burning techniques are the norm. It shows up as blacken glass, plugged up gooey cap screen.
Thanks for chiming in, it’s nice to have this place to be reassured, even when you’re pretty darned sure things seem ok. Much appreciated

Mine is always dirty at the top and pretty clean at the bottom. After a full 6 months of burning I usually only have about a cup or 2 worth of crap and that's on a 20ft tall chimney. There usually isn't anything in my 6.5ft of stove pipe.