Ouch! Insulated vs. noninsulated liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mlasko

Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2008
Western PA
17ft chimney with an older Jotul F3...exterior stone chimney lined with terra cotta flue. Everything is in good shape. This is going in a weekender hunting camp. Just wondering if going with the insulated chimney is worth the double the price cost. Thoughts? I see mixed info all over mostly on clearances but there was on older brunco insert that was in there before.

Can you post the actual prices quoted? Insulated is always the best option. If this company is the only one in the area, just go with them and be done with it.

By the way, who brought up the insulation- they or you? I ask bc if this company balked at you bringing up the insulation, it likely means they don’t normally do it, which points them being shoddy overall.

I’m installing it myself. I just don’t know if it makes that big of a difference.

Yes it makes a difference especially in terms of added safety. Totally do it, it’s a one time expense you won’t regret

You said your chimney is stone and only used on the weekends. You’re going to be fighting the chimney sucking heat out of the liner, gunking it up. A new stove won’t let very much heat up the chimney. Get the insulation and it’ll give you a much better experience running the stove. You won’t be fighting to warm the entire chimney up.

When I go to my cabin, I want to enjoy it. I don’t want to fight with things.

Reactions: begreen and mlasko