Oslo into wood burning fp - questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bostock

Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2010
Sharpsburg Maryland
Just bought a one level house, 1957 all brick rancher with fp - large, roomy hearth. Internal chimney will need liner, only 12-15' max. Up top, flue tile is 13x13 (cant recall if that was ID or OD) and at bottom i cant see well enough past the iron damper. Chim inspector said it's in great condition.. then said $2400 for liner install - so i'll be doing it myself in the spring
Question 1 - insulate the ss liner?
Question 2 - can i assume a 6" liner will have enough room (other than damper, which i assume i'll need to destroy)?
FWIW i have installed before, about 10 yrs ago i installed a 32' in my 1850's stone house and swore never again. But 12' is a lot less than 32'...plus walkable roof .. sooooo... here i am..

Yes, insulate the liner. It is probably best to install the stove directly in front of the fireplace rather than in it. Use the rear exit with a Tee connector with a cleanout thimble on the bottom. I have a similar length chimney to yours and the stove drafts OK but not super strong. I am not sure about the flex liner passing through your damper opening but it probably will. If in doubt, you may want to get the stove professionally installed. You may need to add to the hearth extension so there is 18" in front of the stove. Good news is the stove requires ember protection only, no R value needed underneath.