Oslo cooktop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

boltzmann

Hearth Supporter
Sep 6, 2009
Maryland
I am getting quotes for a new Oslo to go in the family room/kitchen. One dealer said that the optional cooktop replaces the patterned oval insert and another dealer says the cooktop just sits on the patterned oval insert. This latter case would make it like a custom trivet. Anyone know which is correct?

A search showed that Oslo stopped shipping the cooktop for a time because of warping (?). Apparently now it is shipping again. Is the new cooktop different from the old?

I know the arguments for just using the patterned oval as the cooktop. But we already have an Oslo (matte black) in another part of the house and cleaning the top is a pain. Thought it would be worth trying the flat cooktop even if it does rust easily.

If you got the stove in the enamel finish without the cooktop would this solve any concerns?

Shari

Shari said:
If you got the stove in the enamel finish without the cooktop would this solve any concerns?

Shari

Yep, with the cost of the cooktop, I bet you could talk the dealer down on an enamel to an equitable price

How much is the dealer quoting you for the cook top plate? I have one that I'm not using.

Thanks, MountainStoveGuy. Strange that this dealer doesn't know his own product.

04RevX - They are quoting $198 for the cooktop. But I see that you used to have a Hearthstone Homestead. My wife really wants to get a soapstone instead of another Oslo. Was the Homestead too small? Did the soapstone work as advertised (long heat radiation after the fire is out, etc)? Do you think a Phoenix would compare to the Oslo?

Thanks.

The Homestead was a great stove. We heated about 1000 sf with it easily. The soapstone does retain heat for a long time after the fire is out, but in terms of useful heat its really not that much longer than a conventional stove. But you can't beat the looks of the soapstone. I have no experience with the Phoenix, but I think the Heritage most closely compares to the Oslo in terms of size and features. I upgraded to the Oslo because I am using a different chimney in the house this year and its at one end of the house. I wanted a larger burner instead of pushing the homestead. The longest burn I could get out of it was probably 6-7 hrs.

I can sell the cooktop for $100 shipping included if you are interested.

+1 for the heritage, it was my first soapstone woodstove from hearthstone. The looks of the stove are incredible, the performance is awesome, and it comes with a cook plate if you decide to use the rear exit instead of the top exit. I am only a cast iron hearthstone dealer, i wish i had the soap line available to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.