Osburn Stratford II Andiron Delete

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pobihunk

Dec 6, 2021
New Jersey
Hi All. I have a Osburn Stratford II ZC high efficiency fireplace. I am thinking about removing the Andiron and replacing it with a piece of firebrick to be able to add an additional piece of wood and make it easier to remove ash. There is a small air hole (about 4 mm)that comes up underneath the Andiron, and travels through it, then exits at the top of the middle prong of the Andiron. What does this do? Does anyone see any negative issues with blocking it off with the firebrick? Thanks.

That air coming up thru the andiron is boost air. That is supposed to point at the base of the fire to help it start better. It's not advised to remove the andirons, especially if loading mostly E/W.

Thanks for the input Begreen. That hole is very small. I could see it easily getting plugged up and not functioning. I assume there will be no negative effect on the fireplace, except maybe not getting the “boost” air when starting. Does that sound correct? I do understand the idea of the Andiron keeping a “run away log” from crashing into the doors/glass. Other then that, does anyone see any other issues with removing the Andiron? Thanks again.

If draft is strong the boost air may not be needed.

Update. I loaded the firebox north/south. I now see no reason to remove the Andiron, except for making it a bit easier to remove ash. But that really isn’t much of an issue. I can get the “extra “ log in now, and the Andiron actually gives a good air gap to help the burn along. Loading north/south dramatically increased the amount of wood i can load in the firebox.

There you go. I'm glad you tried that out. I load N/S about 95% of the time.

Did you make short splits to load n/s? My newly installed Strattford II is only like 10 or 12" from the back panel to the andiron. I've been burning some shorts and uglies I brought up from home, once I have a good coal bed e/w works pretty well with small runners underneath. Have burned mostly softwood and punky honey locust shorts.

No, we have a much deeper firebox that can take 18" splits loaded either way. I'm just a proponent for N/S loading. Our prior stove was an E/W loader and I never could fill up the firebox all the way.

That's more directed at @Pobihunk. Curious how he got a n/s load in if it's 16".

And yes, I agree n/s is best. NC30 at home prefers it even though I could load either way.

Hi NickW. I loaded 18” splits North/South. The splits sit on the sides of the Andiron, and on top of it. I get much more wood in that way. When i load East/West, i have to put smaller splits (16”) in back, then 18”, then 20”.

Reactions: NickW
Hi NickW. I loaded 18” splits North/South. The splits sit on the sides of the Andiron, and on top of it. I get much more wood in that way. When i load East/West, i have to put smaller splits (16”) in back, then 18”, then 20”.
Gottcha. I see what you're doing. Must leave lots of gaps though... the andiron is pretty substantial. How's it been keeping the glass clean and what are you burning for woods?

This is my first high efficiency fireplace. So i am learning now. The glass stays fairly clean, as long as the wood is dry, and you start fires quickly. I am burning DRY ash splits. If you load with nice square splits, it minimizes the air gaps. I am going to experiment with loading 1 split behind the Andiron East/West, and the rest North/ South. I think this will slow the initial flame surge when the fire is started.

Reactions: NickW