Osburn Matrix too much heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dandawson

Nov 16, 2023
Oklahoma
We are in the process of replacing an older slammer fireplace insert in our cabin in northeast oklahoma. We are interested in the Osburn Matrix as we like the more modern aestetics, non catalytic, as well as being eligible for a tax credit. This unit will fit in our fireplace however I am slightly concerned now that it will put out too much heat. Our cabin is about 720 sq ft and poorly insulated, winter usuage would be 30's-40's. Can we build a slightly smaller fire on this unit to keep from cooking us out? Any feedback from anyone currently using this model is appreciated. Thanks, Danny

I have the freestanding EPA 2015 model, not the EPA 2020 model you are looking at, but functionally they are quite similar.

I don't think you'll have an issue with it being too hot, I can build small fires in mine and only have it put out a small amount of heat. My basement is about the same size and it heats it well, my basement is relatively well insulated but also in a much colder climate, so our heating needs are probably similar overall.

One thing to note is these stoves "breathe easily" so if installed on a tall chimney, say over 20ft, they can possibly have overdraft issues.

If the cabin is relatively cold before starting the fire, then the extra firepower will be appreciated.