Osburn Matrix not very warm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chaosad216

Dec 29, 2017
Ohio
Hello,

My name is Dan. I am new to this forum although I have referenced to it in the past for potential advice. I live in north east Ohio and bought the house I am currently living in almost 2 years ago (feb 29). To get everyone up to speed the main part of my house was build in the 40s. In the 1970s a couple additions where put on Home. One of the additions is electric heat and the rest of the house is forced air oil heat. My old house was hydronic radiant heat flooring which was amazing. The new house hasn’t 3 fireplaces. I decided to add a fireplace stove insert. I settled on the osburn matrix. I installed it myself. I have the unit flush mounted on a main room that has electric heat. Last winter it didn’t seem to do anything at all as far as heating the Home. This fall I did a test burn and removed a fire brick from the stove and i actually noticed heat. The matrix comes with a one speed fan that is only noticeable if your hand is directly in front of it. I removed a second fire brick and noticed heat but I am not impressed with the output. I have also had a few friends over who heat with firewood and where teasing me about the output of heat. I’m really not sure where I am going with a of this other than I feel like it is not performing and I am wasting wood and labor filling it. Has anyone had this issue?

Attachments

• Osburn Matrix not very warm
    3D125225-3746-4424-B275-E2B50AD4E6F9.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 259
Did you install a block offplate and insulate behind the insert?

I am going towards my 4th winter w/ a Matrix insert. And I am familiar w/ your complaint. When the outdoor temps get below 15*, I am reminded that "An insert is NOT as good as a free stander". Our first winter w/ the Matrix was pretty disappointing.

My first step toward more heat output occurred during my second season w/ the Matrix, when my wood had become REALLY dry. That made a huge difference on the burning temps that I could achieve. Everybody on here stresses DRY wood, and I do now as well. The fan seems to blow with more force now that the natural convection is kicked into high gear. Could be my imagination?

I do have a well-insulated block off plate. I also stuffed some Rockwool down the top of the chimney, around the 6" flue pipe. I did not stuff Rockwool in the old fireplace cavity around the firebox. There was a tremendous amount of heat trapped behind the trim plates. I took off the top trim plate and had some 3/4" holes punched in it to allow the accumulated heat to drift out. Did a neat job on a hydraulic press that passes for "factory". That seemed to help quite a bit as well.

Some of the rock on the fireplace will get very warm/ hot (above the insert) after a good, hot fire has been burning for a couple of hours, This adds a lot to the overall heat output.

I'm in a 1650 sq. ft., earth-contact home w/ a southern exposure. Well insulated. When the temperature drops below 15* the furnace will come on once in a while. As of last winter, as long as the temperatures are above 20-25*, the Matrix can run my wife and me out of the house. Learning curve complete?

I hope this helps.