Osburn Inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gary said:
Would like to hear some comments on Osburn brand inserts. Quality? How do they compare to Buck Stoves?

Well, being the resident evangelist for Osburn (Osdurn?) I must comment.

My 1800i is the first epa stove I've had experience with, but overall I'm quite happy with it. It does nearly 100% of the heating of my 2200 sqft 2story home. The fire view is the best in the industry (maybe the Quad Bay is equal).

Dislikes? lower corner of the bay windows gets some build up that needs cleaning (I am anal about clean glass!!) about every 3 days or so, less if burning woods like hickory and oak, more often if burning pine.

The door latch system is really nicely made, and the blower works well automatically. Heat production is good, but buy bigger if you can fit bigger.

The liner attach is poor, but you can make it work. Price/performance is very good in my opinion.

If I had to purchase again would I buy one...Yes. If I could have found a Lopi Revere or Hearthstone Morgan locally..Hmmmm tough...

I might go with the Hearthstone in order to get more even temps over time.

I am very happy though and with that I'll go load it for the night.

I'll throw in my .02 here.

I installed a new Osburn 2200 insert this past November. This is my first experience with a modern wood burning insert. Prior to this I have used old wood stoves at the farm where we hunt and an open fireplace (where the Osburn now lives).

I did my own install and have to agree with Warren, the collar to connect the liner to the insert is inadequate at best. That being said, I was able to make things work fairly easily and have not had any problems. You may want to take a look at the thread I posted with the install pictures. I think it was called 'it's finally in take a look'.

I love the way it burns and the heat it generates. It is located in the lower level of our 1800 square foot tri-level. I can easily keep the lower level in the mid 70's, the main level stays about three degrees cooler (usually 71 -72) and the upper hall between the bedrooms stays around 69 - 70 degrees. The blower on the insert is all I am currently using to move air and it works quite well.

Operation seems to be very easy and I have not had any problems keeping things under control. The fire view is unbeatable. The only other insert I found that was close was the Quadrafire Bodega Bay. In terms of bang for the buck and appearance, I don't think we could have done better.

The glass does get a bit dirty in the lower right corner of the front panel and the lower left corner of the right panel. It's not horrible and a wipe down every few days keeps it looking good. I also like the door latch on the right. I can open the door with my left hand and load with my right.

I hope this helps. If you have any specific questions, please ask.

Thanks for the input. I've been looking at inserts for about a year now and have finally gotten to the point where we can afford one. Wasn't familiar with the Osburn brand and wanted to make sure it was reputable. Ordered up a 1600 today. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.