Osburn 2400 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mercurydollar

Jan 12, 2018
Indianapolis
Just pulled the trigger on a new Osburn 2400 insert last night…pretty stoked. Doing the liner and all the installation myself. Any tips tricks or any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I always enjoy reading all the great ideas and positive input everyone has to offer. You guys are great.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Just pulled the trigger on a new Osburn 2400 insert last night…pretty stoked. Doing the liner and all the installation myself. Any tips tricks or any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I always enjoy reading all the great ideas and positive input everyone has to offer. You guys are great.
Congratulations! So you went with the big boy.

Where'd you decide to get it from?

Two things I'd do differently than I did on my install- There's an optional part that allows you to reach up through the socket in the stove to connect the liner. Would have made the connection so much easier, and alleviated one of the most stressful parts of the install.

https://www.myfireplaceproducts.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=AC02006&Lang=EN

The second thing, harder to know what you need in advance- the stainless appliance connector that came with mine was straight. They sell ones that offset at different angles, and I'd have used one with either a 15° or 30° offset. Depending on your path through your smoke chamber, and which liner you get, one of these might be the difference between a perfect fit, and a fit that is unsatisfactory. I believe some pros bring the various angled connectors with them to the job.

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimney/Chimney-Liner-Parts/Elbow-15-Degree

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimney/Chimney-Liner-Parts/Elbow-30-Degree

Good luck!

Last edited:
Congratulations! So you went with the big boy.

Where'd you decide to get it from?

Two things I'd do differently than I did on my install- There's an optional part that allows you to reach up through the socket in the stove to connect the liner. Would have made the connection so much easier, and alleviated one of the most stressful parts of the install.

The second thing, harder to know what you need in advance- the stainless appliance connector that came with mine was straight. They sell ones that offset at different angles, and I'd have used one with either a 15° or 30° offset. Depending on your path through your smoke chamber, and which liner you get, one of these might be the difference between a perfect fit, and a fit that is unsatisfactory. I believe some pros bring the various angled connectors with them to the job.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips. I’ve got a pre insulated flex liner I’ll be running down. Hoping it all works out. My biggest concern is fabrication of a block off plate. I have zero metal fab knowledge.

Thanks for the tips. I’ve got a pre insulated flex liner I’ll be running down. Hoping it all works out. My biggest concern is fabrication of a block off plate. I have zero metal fab knowledge.
Yep, that can be tough. I tried to make one when I was installing mine, ended up with Roxul held up by a couple of sheet metal wedged into the smoke shelf. Been planning on a permanent one since...

I’m not exactly positive where it goes. I cut out my old damper. To make room for the liner. So is that where the block off plate goes?
That will work. That's where my temporary one is. I'd like the permanent one to be further down, about an inch or two above the stove to keep all the heat from rising into the masonry.

Congrats on the purchase. Just and FYI when you quote someone just start typing below or above the quote and your reply will be with it.

Osburn 2400 insert

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Last edited by a moderator:
I added a few links to my original reply to help understand what I was referring to.

Getting the stove attached to the liner is probably more difficult than you are anticipating, and having those two parts will make your day.

The block off plate can be a challenge, but you can get by with Roxul stuffed around the liner where you cut out the damper.

If you can't get the stove attached to the liner, you are stuck!

I didn't even contemplate that I would have trouble there, until I did. And it was incredibly frustrating because it was so close, but not quite right.

Last edited:
I added a few links to my original reply to help understand what I was referring to.

Getting the stove attached to the liner is probably more difficult than you are anticipating, and having those two parts will make your day.

The block off plate can be a challenge, but you can get by with Roxul stuffed around the liner where you cut out the damper.

If you can't get the stove attached to the liner, you are stuck!

I didn't even contemplate that I would have trouble there, until I did. And it was incredibly frustrating because it was so close, but not quite right.
What type stove do you have?

What type stove do you have?
It's the little brother to your stove. You got the big Cadillac of the line, I got the Chevy with the 2.4' firebox.

The brand is Flame Energy, but it's essentially the same as the Drolet and Century. They are all Stove Builders International (SBI) stoves, as is Osburn. The installation will be very similar.

The first link I attached goes to My fireplace products.com, which I believe is SBIs retail web offering.