Osburn 2400 insert owners?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I recently just got the Osburn 2400 insert. I had some questions about a few things. What is the optimal running temperature and also questions about the fan. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Congratulations on the big stove.

Depending on your wood, once you get her up and running, with appropriately dried wood, you should expect running temps in the 600° degree range with fully closed air. If you don't already have one, get an infrared thermometer. If you don't know what that is, just ask.

You'll need to use the fan. You'll have to play with it to see what works best. I like to start off on high, and ease it down through the cycle.

Congratulations on the big stove.

Depending on your wood, once you get her up and running, with appropriately dried wood, you should expect running temps in the 600° degree range with fully closed air. If you don't already have one, get an infrared thermometer. If you don't know what that is, just ask.

You'll need to use the fan. You'll have to play with it to see what works best. I like to start off on high, and ease it down through the cycle.
Do you have the Osburn 2400 also? I think my fan isn’t working the way it is supposed to. Only has one speed. Any suggestions?

Do you have the Osburn 2400 also? I think my fan isn’t working the way it is supposed to. Only has one speed. Any suggestions?
Page 27 of the manual describes the fan operations. It should have 3 speeds. You may have bypassed the heat sensor as shown in the manual.

The three speeds will only work after the stove is hot, as there is a temperature sensor on that side of the switch. Intended to be automatically on and off.

If this is new, you should contact the seller if you can't get three speeds to work after consulting the manual. I found email to work best, but phone worked too.

840° is an overfire in this stove. Keep it below 800. Do you have an infrared thermometer?

Page 27 of the manual describes the fan operations. It should have 3 speeds. You may have bypassed the heat sensor as shown in the manual.

The three speeds will only work after the stove is hot, as there is a temperature sensor on that side of the switch. Intended to be automatically on and off.

If this is new, you should contact the seller if you can't get three speeds to work after consulting the manual. I found email to work best, but phone worked too.

840° is an overfire in this stove. Keep it below 800. Do you have an infrared thermometer?
Yes I purchased the infrared thermometer already. Only had two fires after doing the three test fires. I’ve only got it up to 600 degrees so far and the house was well heated by then. It actually got up to 75 degrees in the house which is plenty warm in my opinion. There are two switches on the side of the fan. The one towards the stove is the only one that will make the fan come on. Push it down the fan works. Push it up and I get nothing at all.

Just installed and fired up my 2400. I am not new to inserts/stoves but they all require some experimenting with. I love that fact that you can rely on the "heat" sensor to kick on and off when the box temp rises or drops below preset temp. I just put the on/off switch to "off" and flip the high/off/low fan switch to low. When I need more heat I make sure the temp is up and switch to high. It's also a great way to help cool the stove off a little if it's heading towards the 600-700 range. This puppy can produce a lot of heat.

Just installed and fired up my 2400. I am not new to inserts/stoves but they all require some experimenting with. I love that fact that you can rely on the "heat" sensor to kick on and off when the box temp rises or drops below preset temp. I just put the on/off switch to "off" and flip the high/off/low fan switch to low. When I need more heat I make sure the temp is up and switch to high. It's also a great way to help cool the stove off a little if it's heading towards the 600-700 range. This puppy can produce a lot of heat.
Interesting....So on the 2400 insert you guys have a toggle switch for different speeds? On my 1800 insert we have an on/Off Toggle with a heat sensor and a rheostat for speed control.

How do you set it for it to come on automatically?

How do you set it for it to come on automatically?

The toggle switch towards the front of the unit is either up or down, on or off. Set that switch to the down or off position. The toggle closer to the unit has 3 positions, high fan, top position, off, middle position and low fan, down position. Set that it low to start, which is the all the way down. It seems counter intuitive to set the on/off position to off but that is how it needs to be set for the heater sensor to be activated. I start it on low as the fire increases in temperature it will hit the temp that is set on the heat sensor and the fan will start. Conversely, when the stove cools and falls below the trigger temp, the fan will go off. I will switch it to high if I need more heat and I also use the high setting with the draft completely closed to help cool the stove down if I feed it too much.

Hope that helps

Interesting....So on the 2400 insert you guys have a toggle switch for different speeds? On my 1800 insert we have an on/Off Toggle with a heat sensor and a rheostat for speed control.
I agree. I think most SBI products have the fan control you describe. Wonder why they chose what they did for one of their premium products. Infinite speed control with uncomplicated operation vs. a two way switch.

My 1100 just has a rotary (continuously variable) knob with an on-off click. Just like a volume control. Also the thermodisc so it will auto start / stop with temperature as long as the knob is not set to off.

The toggle switch towards the front of the unit is either up or down, on or off. Set that switch to the down or off position. The toggle closer to the unit has 3 positions, high fan, top position, off, middle position and low fan, down position. Set that it low to start, which is the all the way down. It seems counter intuitive to set the on/off position to off but that is how it needs to be set for the heater sensor to be activated. I start it on low as the fire increases in temperature it will hit the temp that is set on the heat sensor and the fan will start. Conversely, when the stove cools and falls below the trigger temp, the fan will go off. I will switch it to high if I need more heat and I also use the high setting with the draft completely closed to help cool the stove down if I feed it too much.

Hope that helps

Hope that helps
how hot does it have to get before it kicks on automatically? I’m running at 450 now and it hasn’t kicked on at all.

how hot does it have to get before it kicks on automatically? I’m running at 450 now and it hasn’t kicked on at all.
I did not watch it to see but I am guessing that it was around 400-450. Perhaps an email to SBI would give you a better idea about the trigger temp. It may be possible that your wiring may be bad or even a bad sensor. Mine worked without issue when I finally got thru the break in fires.
If you get that info would certainly be interested in hearing what you found out.