Osburn 2000 vs Regency F2450

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ScottSteel

Oct 4, 2020
Vancouver Island , Canada
Hello all after many issues with my prior stove and a lack of customer service looking at these two as a replacement.

My house is 1200sqf 9ft ceilings R22 outside walls R 50 attic I live in Nanaimo B.C Canada either one will have a outside air kit and a blower I know they will both do the trick but id prefer a less temperamental stove my 2 times stove ago was an old Regency ( in a less than air tight home) but with new epa regs( I know there both certified) Id appreciate your feedback. Ive read a ton of positives for Osburn ( SBI ) customer service was curious what your thoughts are on Regency.

***Edit: My pipe is going straight up no bends( if that matters )***

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Osburn 2000 has the same firebox as mine, mine is pre 2020 but everything is identical except the tubes and the damper.

Given Nanaimo's climate it's bigger than it needs to be, but should still do the trick. I'm heating 2100sqft total with the same insulation ratings you have over 3 floors from the basement. Right now the daytime highs are about 10c and around 0c at night, one small fire in the morning is all I need for the time being. The one thing of caution is the 2020 models don't turn down as far as mine does. I struggle to get an 8hr burn time out of mine, just a couple small coals left after 8 hrs, the 2020 models likely won't make it this long.

SBI builds an excellent product and their customer service is great too.

Osburn 2000 has the same firebox as mine, mine is pre 2020 but everything is identical except the tubes and the damper.

Given Nanaimo's climate it's bigger than it needs to be, but should still do the trick. I'm heating 2100sqft total with the same insulation ratings you have over 3 floors from the basement. Right now the daytime highs are about 10c and around 0c at night, one small fire in the morning is all I need for the time being. The one thing of caution is the 2020 models don't turn down as far as mine does. I struggle to get an 8hr burn time out of mine, just a couple small coals left after 8 hrs, the 2020 models likely won't make it this long.

SBI builds an excellent product and their customer service is great too.

I was also looking at the 1700 but the burn time says 6h as a maximum burn time which I know are estimated. If you think the 2000 is overkill I will look at the smaller models a little closer.

I have an SBI 2.4 cuft firebox and with a full load of Almond I have not problem getting an overnight burn. Plenty of coals when I get up in the morning to start another cycle.

I have an SBI 2.4 cuft firebox and with a full load of Almond I have not problem getting an overnight burn. Plenty of coals when I get up in the morning to start another cycle.

If you have hardwood available I'm sure that's possible. It's hard to do though with softwood and soft hardwoods.

I was also looking at the 1700 but the burn time says 6h as a maximum burn time which I know are estimated. If you think the 2000 is overkill I will look at the smaller models a little closer.

A 2.4 will work for you, but I think you're going to find it to be a cyclic operation of lighting and letting the stove go out lots. Quite a bit different than the BK you previously had should have achieved.

Your winter temps are similar to what we see end of October where we are typically just run a load a day and let the house temps swing up and down.

@ABMax24 I agree that I will have a lots of start and stops which doesn't bother me the new house we have is 1000% better than our old 1970's trailer prior we are used to the start/ stop.

I was looking at the 2000 as we do some winters hit the negatives for a week or two and didnt want to either over fire a littler stove or not have it beable to keep up.
I would have been happy with the BK it put out lots of heat fan wasn't too loud lots of room in the box but it leaked co and the people behind BK in Canada had no reason but call it an Anomaly and to fiddle with the temp add more pipe add a wind cap add add add and that was their solution, ultimately didnt work for us. I hope this situation never befalls anyone else.

@ABMax24 I agree that I will have a lots of start and stops which doesn't bother me the new house we have is 1000% better than our old 1970's trailer prior we are used to the start/ stop.

I was looking at the 2000 as we do some winters hit the negatives for a week or two and didnt want to either over fire a littler stove or not have it beable to keep up.
I would have been happy with the BK it put out lots of heat fan wasn't too loud lots of room in the box but it leaked co and the people behind BK in Canada had no reason but call it an Anomaly and to fiddle with the temp add more pipe add a wind cap add add add and that was their solution, ultimately didnt work for us. I hope this situation never befalls anyone else.

If your okay with stops and starts the 2000 will serve you well. You won't have an issue keeping your house warm in the coldest weather that you'll see. I think you'll figure it out pretty quick, these stoves are pretty easy to operate. I think you'll run a lot of partial load fires, but these stoves burn those well too.

Mine can solely heat our 2100sqft house down to about -15c given our work schedules. If we are home we can heat down to -25c easily, and -35c is possible if we burn the stove hard with constant refueling. Our temps are below freezing from November to March.

But I really wouldn't hesitate to go smaller, a 2.1cuft box like the PE Super LE would suit you well, my parents heat their 2600sqft house (over 2 floors) in the same climate as mine with it, granted with R32 walls and R60 roof insulation. I think you'd even be fine with a PE Vista at 1.6cuft. As far as winter climates go you've got it easier than 99% of the places in Canada.

Reactions: ScottSteel
If your okay with stops and starts the 2000 will serve you well. You won't have an issue keeping your house warm in the coldest weather that you'll see. I think you'll figure it out pretty quick, these stoves are pretty easy to operate. I think you'll run a lot of partial load fires, but these stoves burn those well too.

Mine can solely heat our 2100sqft house down to about -15c given our work schedules. If we are home we can heat down to -25c easily, and -35c is possible if we burn the stove hard with constant refueling. Our temps are below freezing from November to March.

But I really wouldn't hesitate to go smaller, a 2.1cuft box like the PE Super LE would suit you well, my parents heat their 2600sqft house (over 2 floors) in the same climate as mine with it, granted with R32 walls and R60 roof insulation. I think you'd even be fine with a PE Vista at 1.6cuft. As far as winter climates go you've got it easier than 99% of the places in Canada.

Thank you, you've been most helpful. I'll be speaking to my local dealer tomorrow about both the 2000 and the 1700, I did take into account the PE line-up but my dealer doesn't sell them that I know of and hes been super helpful with the other issues and I have a friends dad that works there too so im hoping to get a fair non gouging price.

Reactions: ABMax24
Thank you, you've been most helpful. I'll be speaking to my local dealer tomorrow about both the 2000 and the 1700, I did take into account the PE line-up but my dealer doesn't sell them that I know of and hes been super helpful with the other issues and I have a friends dad that works there too so im hoping to get a fair non gouging price.

One thing I didn't realize until now is the turndown on the 1700, the 2000 actually has a lower heat output on the lowest setting. According to the Osburn specs that is.

Either way I doubt you'll be un-happy with any SBI product, and as a bonus they are built here in Canada.

Either way I doubt you'll be un-happy with any SBI product, and as a bonus they are built here in Canada.
Regency, PE, Napoleon and SBI stoves (and BK) are all made in Canada.

Im not too sure, but it would be interesting to see all the intricacies that go into a stove.
Yes, I did the tour of the big Travis factory a few years back. It was pretty interesting.

@ABMax24 you said you have the Matrix and the boxes are the same, do you burn NS or WE most of my wood is around 16" as it was cut with the old Regency wood stove in mind. I took a look at them today the 1700 is just a little baby stove lol at least in box depth, if I have the clearances I'll most likely go with the 2000. Just waiting on prices.

@ABMax24 you said you have the Matrix and the boxes are the same, do you burn NS or WE most of my wood is around 16" as it was cut with the old Regency wood stove in mind. I took a look at them today the 1700 is just a little baby stove lol at least in box depth, if I have the clearances I'll most likely go with the 2000. Just waiting on prices.

90% of the time I burn NS. I only burn WE when the wood is cut too long.

I have tried WE but not really a fan of it, I hate have wood roll down against the glass.

Just got installed, Osburn 2000 first fire.

Osburn 2000 vs Regency F2450