Osburn 2000 vs Pacific Energy Super 27 / Classic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FiveAlive

Sep 27, 2019
Nova Scotia
Hello,

My wife and I are looking to put a wood stove in our finished basement. We live in a bungalow approximately 1800 square feet. We currently have a centrally ducted heat pump but in the winter times the basement is still quite cold especially around the floor as the The main purpose is to provide better heat in the basement and not having to rely on our electric forced air furnace as much during the winter (our air furnace kicks in Around -10 degrees or colder which is fairly often in Nova Scotia winter)

We are debating between the Osburn 2000 with blower included or the Super 27 / Classic. Both are comparable in price and specs are fairly similar.

We’d be getting the newer EPA 2020 certified models.

Would appreciate input / recommendations if you own one or are knowledgeable on these 2 models.

Thanks!

Both are going to do the job. The Osburn is a standard tube-secondary stove. It's well made. The PE Super has a more unique firebox design made of stainless steel components and it has a regulated secondary supply. This helps extend the burn time.

I'm sure the Osburn is a good stove, we just bought the Osburn matrix for our house. But my parents have a PE Super 27 in their basement that was installed 15 years ago this fall. They have averaged 4-5 cords of wood per year over those years, and had to replace the stainless baffle/secondary burn 3 years ago, the fire brick has also been replaced a couple times. The stove on the outside still looks new and I'm sure will still get them another 10 years of service.

I don't think you can go wrong with either option.

Quick question about the blower if anyone has input on these.

If I understand it correctly, the osburn 2000 which comes with a blower runs automatic when the stove heats up. Does the fan on the blower make a lot of noise?

In contrast, the Pacific Energy Super 27 does sell the blower as an accessory (at a cost of about $280 Canadian extra). Is it recommended to get one to better distribute heat? If I understand it correctly, I also noticed their blower needs to be plugged in to operate while the Osburn 2000 blower does not require a plug (assuming I understand this correctly).

In general, are blowers worth it? Do they make a lot of noise?

Last edited:
Quick question about the blower if anyone has input on these.

If I understand it correctly, the osburn 2000 which comes with a blower runs automatic when the stove heats up. Does the fan on the blower make a lot of noise?

In contrast, the Pacific Energy Super 27 does sell the blower as an accessory (at a cost of about $280 Canadian extra). Is it recommended to get one to better distribute heat? If I understand it correctly, I also noticed their blower needs to be plugged in to operate while the Osburn 2000 blower does not require a plug (assuming I understand this correctly).

In general, are blowers worth it? Do they make a lot of noise?
The blowers on both stoves need to be plugged into an AC outlet to power them. I can't speak for the Osburn blower but the PE blower is fairly quiet at medium and low speeds and moderately noisy at high speed, but not enough to have to raise your voice above it. Whether a blower is needed or not depends on the installation. I held off for a couple years before buying one for our stove. It only gets turned on when the weather gets in the 20s. I find it helps convect heat better to the farther reaches of the house. In milder weather this isn't necessary.

Thanks for the info,

Does not seem like a clear advantage on either stoves in that case. My wife preferred the looks and color choices on the Pacific Energy Super Classic so looks like we’ll go with this option. If anyone has further input on either stoves please share.

Also, our chimney is in the middle of our house so I don’t think a blower would be needed.

I think you will be pleased, so will she. Try it for a season without the blower. It can be added later if needed.