Osburn 2000 Baffle Position

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sdwoodfire

Nov 1, 2018
Northern South Dakota
Does anyone know the correct positioning of the baffle on a Osburn 2000 insert? There seems to be roughly 1-1.5” of forward to back play. The manual appears to indicate flush to rear stop but what has everyone else done?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Follow the manual. The baffle goes all the way to the rear so that no flue gases escape behind the baffle. Check to make sure the insulation blanket on top is lying flat with the weight on it.

You're right. I was going by the previous design. This changed a while back. Here is the new and the old.
Osburn 2000 Baffle Position Osburn 2000 Baffle Position

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
You're right. I was going by the previous design. This changed a while back. Here is the new and the old.
View attachment 237031 View attachment 237030
Wonder what else changed? I cant imagine they were using the blanket if they didn't need to, to pass emissions. Now clearly they are passing without the blanket. Perhaps the bricks went to pumice from clay?

The most recent iteration of the inserts changed the hole scheme in the secondary tubes, now all four tubes are identical. And I think reported emissions are down. I'd replace my tubes, but not at $45 each.

Not sure, but changing the tube hole size or frequency makes sense.

Mine is a mfg date of 2015 and has no insulation blanket and four secondary tubes. Holes are fewer in number in the rear tube and larger with each tube getting more and smaller holes to the front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk