Options for building chase/chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MetalMan23

Sep 10, 2019
hello?
Hey guys first post here, I read a lot here, as I'm interested in diy everything

Anyway I remodeled my house and took down the masonry chimney, lol I wasn't really thinking ahead but now it's September and I need to get my oil boiler up and running by next month, I know a power vent would be somewhat quick and easy to install, but I've heard many people on this site say it's one more thing that can break down, which I agree with. Can I build a chase chimney in the middle of my house? That's where the boiler is, also in the future I want to leave room to add a supplemental wood boiler in the basement as well, so I'd need space for 2 flues even if I only put one in now,

Any ideas? I'm not sure where to start as far as finding regs for what type of metal flue pipe to use, what kind of chase to build, fire proofing etc...

Any help you guys could give me would be great,

I live in a very old hand squared cedar log home
(Farmhouse) 40 years ago when we bought the
farm had to replace both masonry chimneys
We opped for an 8-inch class a metal chimney
run through a chase in the house also ran plumbing
in the chase as well. If you run a class A chimney
just follow the instructions with it. It will give you clearances
just double it for 2 pipes

So it's really just as simple as building a chase and keeping the pipe away from any combustibles? Maybe I'm overthinking this, should I put fire rated sheetrock inside the chase?

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

So it's really just as simple as building a chase and keeping the pipe away from any combustibles? Maybe I'm overthinking this, should I put fire rated sheetrock inside the chase?

Just follow the chimney manufacturers instructions. They will tell you exactly what is needed. I will say adding a second flue after the chase is closed up is going to be very difficult. Unless you make the case able to be opened up in some way. And no you don't need to drywall the inside.

It should have a fire stop when it passes through the floor and an attic insulation guard as it passes into the attic.

okay, so here's another idea I have a stainless steel chimney liner that I took out of my old chimney, can I build a cinder block chimney and just put that liner inside of it?

Yes, you can if code clearances to the masonry chimney (2") are honored, but a good metal chimney will be better. and take up less room.

well I just got 20 ft of 6 in class A stainless chimney pipe for $100 on Craigslist

So I got that pipe last night, and I have a chimney where there used to be a pellet stove in my house, can I use this stuff for the chimney that extends past the roof? It's the same size I don't know if I should close up that opening as it won't be used anymore
da763af0484c59f473e7bb7701d26283.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If it isn't going to be used ever again Take it down and close it up
Fewer problems in the long run

So I got that pipe last night, and I have a chimney where there used to be a pellet stove in my house, can I use this stuff for the chimney that extends past the roof? It's the same size I don't know if I should close up that opening as it won't be used anymore
View attachment 247630
What is this a picture of - The existing chimney that the pellet stove was connected to or the used chimney pipe you just purchased?

What is this a picture of - The existing chimney that the pellet stove was connected to or the used chimney pipe you just purchased?
This is the existing chimney, above my living room, previously used for the pellet stove, it's the same stuff as the stuff I bought yesterday, 6" class A

So I can use this, in theory, and move it over to above the boiler, then just build the chase under it

Possibly, if this is class A HT chimney pipe and it's still in good condition. Was there a woodstove connected to this chimney prior to the pellet stove?

If you do move it over to the boiler will there be enough chimney pipe or will more be needed to extend it down? Does the boiler have a 6" flue?

Possibly, if this is class A HT chimney pipe and it's still in good condition. Was there a woodstove connected to this chimney prior to the pellet stove?

If you do move it over to the boiler will there be enough chimney pipe or will more be needed to extend it down?
It is in good condition, and yes I believe the previous homeowner had a wood stove there, I bought the house last year in April.

I have plenty of pipe to connect it, but unfortunately that chimney is pretty far away from where the boiler is, now I could move it, but IMO that would be a lot more work, re-plumbing everything.

In theory I could run chimney pipe horizontally to connect to the existing chimney but I don't think that much horizontal chimney pipe is allowed, I'll probably run into draft issues with the horizontal section of pipe being about equal to the vertical section.

Yes, I was assuming you would remove it for relocation in the new chase. The pipe that extends it in the chase must be the same class A chimney pipe all the way down to the basement.

Yes, I was assuming you would remove it for relocation in the new chase. The pipe that extends it in the chase must be the same class A chimney pipe all the way down to the basement.
Ok, so it looks like I do have enough class A pipe, I the attic will need about 6ft, the second floor will need 8ft, and then a long enough section to get past the floor and close to the boiler,

Now I have this tee, this is superpro brand stuff, do I need a cap for the bottom? And some kind of adapter so I can connect the regular pipe coming off the boiler?
9e153cc8b65b0f87f3858c0f1454532c.jpg

Are you sure the existing pipe on the roof is Supervent? The cap doesn't look like Supervent.

What is the plan for terminating the chase? Will this be on the 1st floor? If so, what is supporting the chimney pipe? Will there be a ceiling support in the basement ceiling for each pipe? If so the tee is not necessary.

Have you made up a drawing of what is being proposed?

I'm not 100% sure, I'll check it out closer when I get home.

I'll also make a drawing, see what you think

What do you mean by ceiling support?

So the pipe I got attaches perfectly to the existing pipe that's going through the roof, so it seems like it'll work fine
e8a666cf4da323a2a4d4ff2b6a6bfa7c.jpg