Opinions on pellet setup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakeside21

Oct 13, 2014
Nh
Opinions on pellet setup I am a newbie member,longtime reader of this site. I burned wood for the first time last year and upgraded to a pellet about a month ago. I have a clay lined chimney and the stove is in the basement. I have 4 feet of pipe coming off the stove tee,a90 deg elbow, and 2feet going straight into the chimney. I am running a breckwell p23. I have siliconed all joints and the stove is running well. Is there anything about this install that would concern anyone. Safety wise. I understand It isn't perfect.

So, you're saying that you don't have a stainless steel liner going up thru the clay-lined chimney?

Your stove is supposed to have a liner(some do not) but if the clay liner is not real big you might be fine.

I have mine vented just about like yours. 8X8 clay liner. It has worked great for the past 3 years so I would say you are good.

We've had this debate many times over the years. You "should" go with whatever your manufacturer recommends for venting options.
I have run two different Harmans with this exact setup over the course of 19 years with zero issues.

Thanks for the replies. I realize it's not technically correct but the fact no one said "oh my god I wouldn't use that in my house"is a relief

If your stove requires a liner and you don't use one, be prepared for your homeowner's insurance to give you grief.

My Whitfield was vented with a piece of stainless flex pipe up the chimney about 20" or so past the smoke shelf in a clay lined chimney. It never had a problem, but I ran a 4" liner this year for ease of cleaning etc. My stove manual stated as long as the flex is 18" past smoke shelf, your good.

Status
Not open for further replies.