Opinions needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redyute

Feeling the Heat
Dec 4, 2015
southern maryland
So my neighbor is a brick guy and come spring he will break it and redo the top part whatever it's called, when we bought the house two years ago the inspector caught that and the seller was supposed to have had it fixed. Idiot just put clear silicone in the cracks and left it like that. Is there a fix or I gotta do what my neighbor says and have it torn down and redone.
Opinions needed

Last edited by a moderator:
You need a new crown I have no idea if the chimney needs torn down or not we cant see it very well. But when you redo the crown build forms and pour an overhanging slab. It will hold up better and protect your chimney better

You need a new crown I have no idea if the chimney needs torn down or not we cant see it very well. But when you redo the crown build forms and pour an overhanging slab. It will hold up better and protect your chimney better

Yeah I can see clay liner breaking trying to break off this crown to redo it. Will take a better pic tomorrow

Yeah I can see clay liner breaking trying to break off this crown to redo it. Will take a better pic tomorrow
It might but you have a stainless liner so who cares that clay liner is serving no purpose at all now. But you can probably do it with out breaking it anyway

It might but you have a stainless liner so who cares that clay liner is serving no purpose at all now. But you can probably do it with out breaking it anyway

Just watch a video on youtube of a guy doing his, not that bad of a job but he says you gotta use wiremesh

Just watch a video on youtube of a guy doing his, not that bad of a job but he says you gotta use wiremesh
I don't like using wire mesh. We use fiber reinforced concrete. The biggest thing is the expansion joint around the liner and the bond break between the top of the chimney and the crown

I don't like using wire mesh. We use fiber reinforced concrete. The biggest thing is the expansion joint around the liner and the bond break between the top of the chimney and the crown

Ok I've used this concrete before and he did mention the expansion joint around the liner

After watching a ton load of videos I feel like this is a repair I am comfortable doing myself, well with the help of my neighbor

I have a chimney just like that, which I built 20 years ago. Fireplace pictured at left.
My crown is identical to yours. I can't remember just how I did it, I am a log builder not a mason, but I think I just used regular mortar.
My crown has no cracks in it.
Yours is definitely toast. No doubt that mortar crown can be removed without damaging the clay flue tile. You could, for example, get a drill with a 3/8 masonry bit and drill holes an inch apart, all around that clay tile. Drill other holes as necessary and get a chisel and hammer and you can cleanly remove that crown.
I didn't use wire mesh. Maybe I had beginner's luck.

ps Your experience is why, when my fiancee and I buy a rental house, I do the inspection. When I discover a flaw, we just hit the seller up with the cost of repair. In your case I would have said "$400 to repair chimney crown."
They give us the discount on the price, and then after we buy the house we fix it ourselves.

The seller has no motivation to do a good job, in fact, they have a motivation to rig it and go ahead with the sale, once the deal is closed the problem is dumped on the new owner.

I have a chimney just like that, which I built 20 years ago. Fireplace pictured at left.
My crown is identical to yours. I can't remember just how I did it, I am a log builder not a mason, but I think I just used regular mortar.
My crown has no cracks in it.
Yours is definitely toast. No doubt that mortar crown can be removed without damaging the clay flue tile. You could, for example, get a drill with a 3/8 masonry bit and drill holes an inch apart, all around that clay tile. Drill other holes as necessary and get a chisel and hammer and you can cleanly remove that crown.
I didn't use wire mesh. Maybe I had beginner's luck.

ps Your experience is why, when my fiancee and I buy a rental house, I do the inspection. When I discover a flaw, we just hit the seller up with the cost of repair. In your case I would have said "$400 to repair chimney crown."
They give us the discount on the price, and then after we buy the house we fix it ourselves.

The seller has no motivation to do a good job, in fact, they have a motivation to rig it and go ahead with the sale, once the deal is closed the problem is dumped on the new owner.

Totally agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.