OPEN DOOR VIEWING??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodywilson

Hearth Supporter
Dec 10, 2010
SE MICH
I am purchasing a PE T5 classic
My lovely wife would like to get the screen for occasional open door fire
you know cracklin-- some smoke-- embers shooting out- all the heat wasted
has anyone experienced these "open fires" -- or think complete waste of 150 dollars

i would definetly use a fire screen if i could find one...can't even find anything about the manufacturer of my stove. (even checked on here with no replies) it's not like you would have to leave it on there forever....maybe just an hour or so. sounds like she really wants to enjoy the ambiance. good luck. might turn out to be the best $150 you spent in awhile, ya know??? remember...happy wife, happy life, eh?

Last stove I had came w/ a fire screen. I used it 2x and just didn't get all that excited over it. It certainly didn't have the appeal I thought it would continue to have. As such I wouldn't recommend it as I haven't found a person on this site in the last few years that comes excited talking about their burn experience using one. Lots come on talking about some awesome secondary burn action that only comes w/ the doors closed. In all, it's much more interesting to watch the fire through the glass w/ these modern stoves. The burn is similar to the northern lights or some other majestic light show.

But, back to your original question, as an individual, I'd leave it in the store. As a married man, I'd buy it, watch her want to use it once, watch her never use it again, then mention the money wasted on that whenever she tries to complain about the necessity of something I am eying at the store :)

pen

Not only is it a good idea, some manufacturers recommend it. Starting a fire with less than good dry wood is also a lot easier with the doors open and screen in place.
From the Fisher Insert Manual; Creosote Prevention ; It is recommended that the fire be burned for 5 - 10 minutes daily, with the doors open and the screen attached.

I would agree with pen if I had to buy one. My stoves came with one too.

coaly said:
Not only is it a good idea, some manufacturers recommend it. Starting a fire with less than good dry wood is also a lot easier with the doors open and screen in place.
From the Fisher Insert Manual; Creosote Prevention ; It is recommended that the fire be burned for 5 - 10 minutes daily, with the doors open and the screen attached.

My last stove was a fisher, and I had the screen for it. Burning the same wood I burn in my new stove I went through no less than 1 full cord more a year (more like 1 cord and 2 face, but I'll round down since I loved the stove), my fire went out daily, and I had roughly twice the creosote accumulation in my chimney. In other words, fisher is not where the buck stops in terms of stove technology and burning strategy.

Now, my point is not to knock the fisher as I still love that old girl and there is no complaining about the fact that the fisher was so tough of a stove that it could still be around to heat my great-great-grandchildren while still just plain cranking out heat, but quoting it's manual is like looking at a 1980 honda civic manual to decide how your 2010 civic should be run. Fisher's were AWESOME for the 70's and 80's but, times have changed and so too should burning habits.

W/ that said, if someone offered me a baby bear at a decent price for my shop (for intermittent use), it'd be there in a heartbeat!

pen

woodywilson said:
I am purchasing a PE T5 classic
My lovely wife would like to get the screen for occasional open door fire
you know cracklin-- some smoke-- embers shooting out- all the heat wasted
has anyone experienced these "open fires" -- or think complete waste of 150 dollars

I'm doing the math here: if your wife is LOVELY, and she'd LIKE a screen, how could buying it be a COMPLETE WASTE? A rip off yes, and a waste of heat, but not a complete waste.

We use ours a few times a year. it's nice - I enjoy the big blast of radiant heat, and pretend not to care how fast those splits go up in smoke.

I don't get it. Can't you see the fire with the door closed?

I heat with and old fisher insert I do have the screen but have never used it. I just open the doors and enjoy the most intense heat i have ever felt. How much different is the radiant heat felt with the door open than through the glass?? Never had one with glass.

I bought the screen for our T-4 against the advice I got here. Though we have only been burning a couple weeks I have yet to try it. The fire through the glass is beautiful. Maybe I'll try it today. Kinda wish I hadn't spent the bucks. I think the fantasy is better than the reality.

OP, if the wife wants it, how bad can it be to make her happy? I will admit when it has come up before most people say they used it once, a few or never, but a few do chime in and say they use it a lot... I think it's one of those preference things where no one can tell you one way or another, you just have to try it yourself.

yooperdave said:
i would definetly use a fire screen if i could find one...can't even find anything about the manufacturer of my stove. (even checked on here with no replies) it's not like you would have to leave it on there forever....maybe just an hour or so. sounds like she really wants to enjoy the ambiance. good luck. might turn out to be the best $150 you spent in awhile, ya know??? remember...happy wife, happy life, eh?

YooperDave, if you will put your stove info in your signature, those two guys that know about your stove have a better chance of noticing it there in your signature that displays with every post you make, vs them not having checked in the day your question post was on top of the forums..

actually, if everyone would put their stove info in their signature it sure would be nice. I know I don't have anything fancy unique or rare, but have had several PMs about my stove because it's in my sigline..

Csaw I think you hit the nail on the head. I expect my wife to be dissappointed with that screen. but I know she will be curled up by that stove every evening.

Does your T4 door swing past 90*

woodywilson said:
Csaw I think you hit the nail on the head. I expect my wife to be dissappointed with that screen. but I know she will be curled up by that stove every evening.

Does your T4 door swing past 90*

I would guess about 100*, trying the screen right now. Sure is hot in front of it with it on there. The fire looks more traditional. Don't think it will be on there very long. Thanks for the thread and getting me to try it.

I thought about getting a screen for my Oslo . . . read everyone's comments here and realized that if I really wanted one at a later date I could easily purchase one and install it. After running the woodstove for a few weeks I quickly forgot about the screen and settled back to enjoy the nice view, sound of the crackling fire, smell of potpourri simmering on the stove top and the feel of the heat . . .

I cook on a rotisserie in front of an open door a half dozen times a year.
If I did that more often, I'd go on C-list and adapt one (screen) to my liking.
I like to leave the door open also when burning down a big pile of coals.
With the blower running, we get a useful blast of heat that way.
I would spend your $150 on a screen in a heart beat, but not my $150.

kenny chaos said:
I would spend your $150 on a screen in a heart beat, but not my $150.

I thought about buying later if I felt that I wanted it. The only reason I bought now rather than waiting was for the tax rebate and it could ship with the stove. Figured I would never be able to get it cheaper.

I used it for about 10 minutes last night, don't know when I will again. The holes are quite large and I had some popping wood that was sending sparks through it.

CSAW said:
The holes are quite large and I had some popping wood that was sending sparks through it.

I only do open-door when I have a bed of coals, usually to burn them down a bit. No popping, no sparks. In fact, half the time (meaning 3 out of only about 6 times a year!) I don't even bother with the screen, I just open the door. If I'm not sitting right there to watch it there's no point in having the door open anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.