One year vs Two...big difference?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
Without getting into factors (wood type, sun/shade/covered...blah blah), would two year dried wood be *much* better/drier than one year? How much more will it dry out during year two?

Thanks in advance :)

Thats a hard question to answer without accounting for so many variables but i will say yes. My experience is with only hard woods because that is all i have available. The difference is night and day in ease of starting fires and light off.....imo. As far as how much more it will dry out idk. I think firewood dries out the most percentage wise the first year but that is just theory with no factual data.

It depends on the species of wood. Some are burnable in 1 yr, some need 2. Ash, pine and fir dry in one year. It also depends on the drying conditions. A stack in the shade that is at right angles to the prevailing wind is going to dry slower than a stack that is in the sun and allows the prevailing winds to blow through it. If you need to accelerate drying, build a solar drying oven.

Reactions: Gearhead660
Without getting into factors (wood type, sun/shade/covered...blah blah), would two year dried wood be *much* better/drier than one year? How much more will it dry out during year two?

The time really doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is moisture content. In the right conditions wood can easily be ready to burn in a year. The same wood under different conditions will rot before it dries properly.

You will see a marked difference from 1 - 2 years with hardwoods. 3 will make you giddy :)

Top covering also has an effect on seasoning. I top covered this seasons FW this spring (already CSS for 1 year), and there is a noticeable difference in the process. I got a little lazy the year before and had to speed things up.

For top covering, I highly recommend shower curtains from Dollar Tree. I get 6 months to 1+ year out of them ;)

You will see a marked difference from 1 - 2 years with hardwoods. 3 will make you giddy :)

Top covering also has an effect on seasoning. I top covered this seasons FW this spring (already CSS for 1 year), and there is a noticeable difference in the process. I got a little lazy the year before and had to speed things up.

For top covering, I highly recommend shower curtains from Dollar Tree. I get 6 months to 1+ year out of them ;)
One two or three years doesn't make a difference as long as you get to the proper mc. If you do something like a solar kiln which can get wood well below 20% in under a year the extra time won't matter.

Yes, you will notice the difference between one and two years with hardwoods. Easier lighting, much more consistent and predictable air setting, much lower air setting, longer burns, more heat, less smoke on startup.

For some woods, (i.e. oak) this is more pronounced, but unless you have a perfect drying setup, I'm sure it's noticeable with all hardwoods, certainly the ones I've tried; oak, maple, hickory, cherry, tulip poplar, birch, locust and dogwood.

For top covering, I highly recommend shower curtains from Dollar Tree. I get 6 months to 1+ year out of them
Better yet, use better quality shower curtains when they get too grimy from the shower, then you get several years of a second life out of them.

TE

Yes, you will notice the difference between one and two years with hardwoods. Easier lighting, much more consistent and predictable air setting, much lower air setting, longer burns, more heat, less smoke on startup.

For some woods, (i.e. oak) this is more pronounced, but unless you have a perfect drying setup, I'm sure it's noticeable with all hardwoods, certainly the ones I've tried; oak, maple, hickory, cherry, tulip poplar, birch, locust and dogwood.

Better yet, use better quality shower curtains when they get too grimy from the shower, then you get several years of a second life out of them.

TE

I have one shower with a curtain, trust me, I've been on it :)

Reactions: Grizzerbear

Of all my jerry rigged greatness i never would have thought of such a simple and cheap solution. Lol...thats a good idea.

Reactions: D8Chumley and Dix
Second year makes a big difference. But, with some wood like cherry, tulip poplar, red maple....9 to 12 months is often enough. But it does get better. Oak is better in year four than year three, but very good in year three. Etc.

Some wood doesn't like too many years in stacks, unless the top is well covered.

Reactions: XmasTreefarmer