On the scrounge 2024 post your free wood score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodsplitter67

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2017
Woolwich nj
So my son and I have been working on getting our log lenth for 2025. I have alot of wood still to haul to the house. Were picking away at bringing it home here and there.. this is the pile so far its 14ft wide and roughly 8ft high. This is at the back of my property and will be split this winter

On the scrounge 2024 post your free wood scoreOn the scrounge 2024 post your free wood scoreOn the scrounge 2024 post your free wood scoreOn the scrounge 2024 post your free wood score

Good God y'all boys are not playing! Is that oak?

All oak.. probably have at least that much or more to still haul to the house..

One of my neighbors neatr my shop needed to have some trees removed

1 or 2 on the top have bark that looked similar to sassafras. That's a nice pile to start working on. Don't forget your tick clothes.

Reactions: stoveliker
I get all oak free on Facebook Marketplace it’s pretty cool. After a storm you get people posting pictures you can see the grain or the leaves to verify if it’s not specified. Sometimes the oak is on the ground and old and semi punky, sometimes fresh and green. I’m around 12 cords now 100% oak and I’ll scrounge with selectivity at this point. Smaller circle of driving I can afford to wait. I only like big rounds already cut all straight.

Like this ad currently. 5 miles from my house. Nice oak appears halfway seasoned. I could chunk it enough for the pickup truck with wedges and sledge or monster maul, but to me the rounds look a little thin. I’d like them 14 to 16 inches. I can afford to be picky but I do need to choose at some point

On the scrounge 2024 post your free wood score

Yeah good thing to be able to be picky. The more u have the pickier u can be. That stuff looks like a mess but also with such easy access might be worth a drive to look. And just cherry pick any good pieces.

Oh and even a light maul should split most of that. If it's too knotty for the light maul than it stays there. Not worth the effort.

Yeah I’ve been eyeing it. I think lots of people will take what they can lift. Which is fine by me I’d prefer 8-10 biggies I quarter and put in the truck. I’ll check it out maybe something is hiding in there!

I look for wood thats not cut into rounds. I cant store that. Log lenth is the best for me to move around and store. I take anything from 6 inch to 40 inch rounds. I have alot of woods around me. One good storm rolls by and Im in business.

Reactions: Investment Camper
1 or 2 on the top have bark that looked similar to sassafras. That's a nice pile to start working on. Don't forget your tick clothes.
Agreed on the sassafras for couple logs. Personally I think that’s great, terrific kindling wood for all that dense oak. Of course it’s a picture and I could be dead wrong.