Older MT Vernon convection blower question!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AHeyVernon

Feb 1, 2014
Montana
Hey all,

I searched the forums here but didn't find anything, so I thought I'd just ask the pros on this site. Is there a way to oil the convection blower on my stove?? Getting ready to do some cleaning of sorts and would like to be prepared!

Thank you kindly!

What stove do you have?

I have an older MT Vernon pellet stove. It's not the fancy AE stove.
It's a "no lubrication required" motor, but some people use the blue-labeled 3-in1 oil intended for electric motors on the bearings.

I didn't wanna start a new thread, and since it's convection blower related, here's another couple of questions for you stove gurus. Okay, after giving the blower a thorough cleaning and oiling, the fan has some unusual behavior now.

Is there any reason as to why the convection blower would cut out for about 30 seconds or so then start up again when the stove is on the MEDIUM setting? I currently have the stove set on the HIGH setting, and the fan has been blowing continuously w/out issue. Does the cold weather outside have anything to do with this? I noticed this behavior started after we dipped down to the -20 and -30 range.

Thank you kindly!

OH! Before I forget, when the convection blower turns off briefly, you can hear these back to back clicking sounds: *click-click*.....*click-click*....*click-click*....and then it fires right back up.

It's a no oil motor. You will likely just attract more dust and decrease its life. No need to over think it.

Those clicks you hear could be the S1 switch, S1 controls the convex motor. You can bypass it and see if problem goes away, if so replace S1 or area inside the stove where S1 mounts to could have crud built up... Quad pn 230-1340. good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.