Older Avalon squealing noise and other problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diamond3179

Jan 25, 2014
Salem Or
We have an Avalon pellet stove that has worked great for the last few years until a few days ago. We first noticed a squealing noise so we turned down the fan from high to low and it seemed to stop and all was well for a couple of days. Our normal setting for the stove has been to have the heat set on medium and the fan on high. This has always given us a perfect amount of heat for our house, so this low setting was a bit cold for us.

A couple of days after we had set the fan on low, I left the house for a couple of hours and when I came back I noticed the fire had burnt itself out but the stove and fans were still running. It must have been burnt out for quite some time because the stove was completely cold. I started it back up and everything seemed to work once again as normal, but only for about 25 minutes or so. The fire again would burn itself out. Each time I could restart the stove and it would come on and once again burn out in about 25 minutes. It is almost as if the auger would stop pushing pellets at the exact same time. I continued to try different settings and what I found was that any time the stove was set to medium or high setting it would burn out after that 25 minutes or so. The only setting that would stay on with no problems was low. So, now we have a stove that only runs good on low heat and a low fan. This was not enough heat for us at all.

We ran it this way for a couple of days with no problems once again, all the while I was doing tons of research trying to find my exact problem. I was mostly focusing on why we could not turn up the heat. I overwhelmed myself with all the information I read and I was left mostly confused. Meanwhile I had also taken the stove apart and cleaned every nook and cranny I could find until the stove and parts looked nearly new again. I oiled the parts that could benefit from it. Through my research I had found places that I didn't know even existed to clean and oil, so I was optimistic that this would solve my problems.

All of a sudden a couple of days later I seemed to have a new problem, or rather an old one that I had ignored while trying to solve my temperature setting problem. The stove was on in the low heat, low fan setting while I was doing some work outside. All of a sudden I could hear the most horrible squealing sound coming from inside my house and the pellet stove. When the squealing started I noticed the fire stopped getting air and the exhaust blower was no longer pushing air outside. A few minutes later smoke poured into my house. The fans stayed on of course even though I turned the stove off. The squealing continued through all of this.

I completely assumed that it must be my combustion blower since it had stopped pushing air out the exhaust. I spent the day doing more research and trying to find the part to replace. After a few hours, right before I was going to order my new combustion fan, I decided to start it up once again and be sure that I was ordering the right part. This time I changed the fan setting from that original low to medium and then high and while I was doing that it made the squeal! The squeal changed and got louder and higher pitched as I was moving the dial on the fan setting.

So, now I am completely confused. I had originally thought it was my combustion fan simply because it stopped pushing exhaust out. Now I am thinking it may be my convection fan, but why would that stop the exhaust from escaping out the exhaust pipe?

I would appreciate any ideas as I am completely clueless to any of this. It is obviously not my specialty as you can probably tell from my post!! I am also sorry it is so long, I have a hard time explaining myself! Thanks so much!!

Try running a lint eater brush through your pipe. It sounds like you cleaned everything but the exhaust. And if you can get to them, clean both your distribution and combustion blowers.

Reactions: diamond3179
Wouldn't be the first time than more than one thing goes wrong. Murphy's law of multiples? You won't just have a flat tire but the spare is low too:)

So I think I fixed it! Spent all afternoon taking out the convection fan, cleaning it with cotton swabs, and oiling the bearings. I wasn't quite sure if I even got the oil on the bearing on the side with the motor, but I did my best to get it in there. Cleaned out the exhaust really good and also blew out a few little nooks and crannies I missed clear inside.

So I fired it back up, waited about five minutes for the convection fan to start up. Kept the door opened this time so I could watch it. As soon as it started up, the squeal returned. I tapped on the end slightly and a couple of seconds later the noise disappeared. I tried adjusting the fan speed high and low, no noise. Exhaust running smooth, and I even tested the stove by turning the heat on high and medium heat. All is well and it has been running on medium heat and high fan for two hours now. It is running so quiet and smooth that I almost feel like it is not even on! I don't remember it ever being so quiet. The only concern is that I can smell something a bit hot, but I think it is from the oil and should go away. It was the same smell as after I oiled the other fan a few days ago, but it went away in seversl hours.

Anyway, I just wanted to finish my post up by saying all seems to be good. Hopefully my problem doesnt return. :)

I would oil and clean things again in the spring or the problems will come back faster than you want and probably at bad time.

Thank you!! I will definetely do that after this season. Fan is running perfect, but I got greedy and turned the stove on high and it burnt off again after about 20 min. Sigh.....at least I have the medium setting and my fan works. :)

May try and go for a synthetic oil as they penetrate and holdup to heat better.

Status
Not open for further replies.