older 25 pdv with a problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

the pony boy

Nov 5, 2011
putnam ny
picked up a older pdv today from a guy who said it wouldnt run hot enough. i figured no problem i would give it a good cleaning and all would be good. well i gave it a good cleaning and even on 9-9 its not blowing hot. the bottom 3 are 4-6-1. this was done in my drive way with no vent or oak. and the results were after about a half hour of run time. what should i look for?

the pony boy said:
its not blowing hot.

whats not hot? like 80 or 180? or somewhere in between?

what year is it?

I'm assuming your testing it outside where the input temp is very low?

it felt like 110 or so. it was tested in the garage with the door open. its a 2001 and the bottom 3 are 4-6-1

As far as I know the bottom three only affect heat settings 1 and 2 on that stove. best to check with Englander.

How did you clean it? leaf blower? compressed air?

Clean the convection blower while you are at it.

Verify the auger is delivering pellets consistently and that the stove is not attempting to run in t-stat mode without a t-stat being connected (firing rate one at all times if it is).

Then call england tech support to make certain the controller is in the correct burn mode.

i disasembled both blowers and vacuumed and scraped the entire stove. augers look good as well. the burn pot was pretty full.

My Fathers PDV is an 01. Im gonna call him in a bit and see what his is set at? But he Never takes it over Heat level 4. Normally on heat level 2 or 3 and fan of 3 or 4. It blows you out of the house.

His house is somewhere around 1,400 sq. With the back bedrooms (our kids room/there grandkids) closed off, its about 1,000 sq ft. Its a beast of a stove.

DexterDay said:
My Fathers PDV is an 01. Im gonna call him in a bit and see what his is set at? But he Never takes it over Heat level 4. Normally on heat level 2 or 3 and fan of 3 or 4. It blows you out of the house.

His house is somewhere around 1,400 sq. With the back bedrooms (our kids room/there grandkids) closed off, its about 1,000 sq ft. Its a beast of a stove.

sounds good

the pony boy said:
DexterDay said:

sounds good

They were just over here (seeing the Grand kids) and I wanted to give him a chance to get home.

He said its 4-6-1. Whether thats the factory settings, I dont know. But it is a Heating Monster set like that. He has the standard up 3 ft and out 2 ft. Its the kit designed to go with the Englander stoves sold at Box Stores
OAK is hooked up.

I got it off of Craiglist for Free this Summer (traded an Old Timberline wood stove I got for Free) and cleaned it out, cleaned and lubed the motors, gave it a paint job and put it in his house. He has $280 in it. $200 for the vent kit and $80 for a Corner Hearth pad from my Fahrenheit Dealer (Scratch and Dent model).

He was just thanking me again tonight for getting him the stove. He said my Mom is better at lighting it than he is. She shuts it down every day and cleans it.

Hope you get it going. The PDV is a good unit. Not a really Big Looker, but a Heating machine is what it is....

smoke show said:
As far as I know the bottom three only affect heat settings 1 and 2 on that stove. best to check with Englander.....

You are correct....anything older than '04 will only have effect on heat 1 & 2

So far I love my 25PDV. I still have some tweaking to do to it but it does throw the heat. Hope you get it running good.

Do you have the impingement plate centered as that is a big part of the heat exchanger system on that stove?

SmokeyTheBear said:
Do you have the impingement plate centered as that is a big part of the heat exchanger system on that stove?

Funny u say that. Because I had a little problem getting it off than back on. Looks like there's a slight buldhe behind the plate in the top right corner and it's not letting the plate sit completely flush.

whats the purpose of the impingement plate?from the looks of things the stove could have been run alot with out the plate and cause of the buldge in the wall.

the pony boy said:
whats the purpose of the impingement plate?from the looks of things the stove could have been run alot with out the plate and cause of the buldge in the wall.

It splits the exhaust gases into two streams, somewhat slows it down and acts as a heat sink and conduction plate for transferring heat to the heat exchanger manifold.

If the wall has a bulge the stove has likely been over fired while plugged with ash.

If this happens for a long enough period the bulged area will crack and the crack can continue to grow until the heat exchanger is compromised and unsafe to operate.

Ok so it looks like I found a issue. Behind where the plate hangs amenity bump is it has a space where it looks like the warPage has cause a seem to open.can this be epoxied or is welding the only option. Phil

the pony boy said:
Ok so it looks like I found a issue. Behind where the plate hangs amenity bump is it has a space where it looks like the warPage has cause a seem to open.can this be epoxied or is welding the only option. Phil

Be certain to have the stove fully inspected by someone who has a clue. Open seams need to be checked to make certain the firebox isn't compromised.

Now something caused that to happen and the only thing I can think of is the stove being run hard while plugged up.

If you can would you please post pictures of this and ask Mike Holton to take a look at them.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Be certain to have the stove fully inspected by someone who has a clue......If you can would you please post pictures of this and ask Mike Holton to take a look at them.

Good idea....listen to the Bear.

i got it for a good price and im just going to pull the useable parts and save them. not worth putting anymore money into or moving this thing around thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.