old hunter combo wood/oil furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

currently confused

Hearth Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
eastern MA
I have recently purchased a house that has an old (about 1980ish) Hunter wood/oil combo furnace. The person I bought the house from has not used the wood side of things since she owned it (about 15 years) and had no idea how to use it to burn wood. Last winter the oil bill was painful (about $600) a month. I have lots of wood ready to use this winter but am not sure about a number of things. This may seem basic to you all but I am truly a 'newbie'. 1) Is such an old system safe to use--my chimney was cleaned and has a liner it in. 2) Do I just put wood into the 'firebox' and the furnace will use oil to start the wood burning or do I have to build a fire in the traditional manner. 3) anything else you all can think of that I should know would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
currently clueless but hoping to be provided with a clue

For starters I would definitely seek out the manual for this furnace. It would also be a good idea to have professional eyes give the system a review to make sure it was installed safely and that it is ready to burn. Could be that it's ready to go, but that is hard to say from the internet.

I have searched on the internet for a manual with no luck. There does not even seem to be a hunter furnace in existance at the moment. Any ideas who would look at the furnace? Most of the hvac people in my area do not seem to have much knowledge of combination furnaces.

Moving over to the boiler room. Maybe someone here will know of a good service person in your area for combo units.

Thanks all--I found the manual which is somewhat helpful and led me to find that the company is no longer around. I also found somebody who is going to come take a look at it to make sure it is good to go. Fingers crossed and wood at the ready :)

Status
Not open for further replies.