Old Heatilator Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vderks

Mar 3, 2015
Kansas City MO
We have a house build in the 50's with a basement heatolator firebox. The box itself is rusted and water is leaking through the flue. We have made sure it is not coming from the chimney. A water test shows it coming from ground water. In the meantime we have addressed the normal gutter/drainage issues. As of right now very little water gets in. The house is a stone house and the foundation in this area is stone. The fireplace is not useable nor do we even need a fireplace in that location. I am wanting to know if it is possible to just close the opening up with blocks and 'forget' there was a fireplace there? If so, who would do this type of work? Thank you, Vicki

A mason would typically do this work.

It's one option, but it might continue to be a problem until there is absolutely no water coming through at any time. Perhaps a drain can be put in or a french drain outside?

I had a old heatilator. Generally, and I don't know your specific model, but in general all the chimney piping rest directly on the firebox, not weight bearing attachments at the ceiling or roof framing.

What I am saying is if you want to take it out you will probably have to take ALL of it out, all the way to the chimney cap. Probably.

However, the ones I am familiar with went in during construction, so there is a very likely a straight shot from the firebox to the roof, so you could, very likely, put in a modern chimney if you choose to and not have to use any elbows in the new pipe.

Be sure to find a way to drain off that water. You do not just want to dam it up behind some bricks or blocks. Water can be very destructive to a structure when it is not properly controlled.

Status
Not open for further replies.