Old fireplace with 4 vents at corners. Can I mount a TV above it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Let's stick to what the OP was asking, is it possible and concerns with doing it. I'm only saying YES and to mount it in bedrock studs.

If you want to open another thread on tv positioning go for it, it's like with you're sitting in your Lay-Z-Boy recliner (I'm sure you have one), with head resting on headrest (with now zero-head tilt, because you're looking straight at it, oh and your back is straight), and you don't have to explain the neck-stretch to tip your head forward. No ergo issues b/c you're looking dead on. Even if not in recliner, everyone says how comfortable it is they don't have to tip their head for it, try it.
I am sorry for expressing my opinion . Yes of course it can be done but in this case it would not be mounted to studs it would be mounted to brick. But regardless it should still work fine. But if the fireplace will be used it is not good for the tv. And personally I would not want my TV that high.

TV's arent that heavy, new ones anyway.

TV's arent that heavy, new ones anyway.
No LCDs aren't to heavy. I just got an older plazma though and wow for a 50 it weighs 120 lbs.

I wouldn't do it. Too high up, heat from fireplace, mounting to brick is a hassle, etc. etc....

I have a 2012 55" that weighs about 40 or <. Only reason its still here is because I paid to have it fixed. How old y'all's TV must be?

I have a 2012 55" that weighs about 40 or <. Only reason its still here is because I paid to have it fixed. How old y'all's TV must be?
That is probably an lcd not a plasma. Plasmas weigh allot more. Mine is about 9 years old. I got it for free because it had a bad power supply. It took about $1 of fuses and capacitors soldered to the board to fix it. I also have a 40 inch samsung lcd I go for $25 that had the same problem. It is much lighter more like 40 or 50 lbs. I like the picture on the plasma better though.

Reactions: Ashful
Yes. Mine is an LCD. Got it on clearance at Sams for quite a deal at the time. Im not sure that plasma is made anymore.

Yes. Mine is an LCD. Got it on clearance at Sams for quite a deal at the time. Im not sure that plasma is made anymore.
Yes they are still made but not common.

Well, I was thinking the brick was more like a facia against drywall, and that was mounted to studs. Anyway, I would have gone thru the brick to hit the vertical studs to ensure a good mount. I'm not even sure if that's how they build that stuff, I guess I'm as far as mechanical stuff I dunno...let us know what you decide?

There are so many different models. Plasma is really heavy I know that.

Reactions: bholler
I bet you'll argue the sky isn't blue... lmao

You’ve picked a strange thing to argue here. He has the TV, and the manual, and you don’t. But just because I’m sick of watching this, I randomly googled “Samsung Plasma TV”, and found weights all around what bholler has already posted for his own 55” model.

dbdfe6ab81bebf338f835539e9693d8f.jpg

Can we stop debating the weight of a TV you have never even owned, with the guy who actually owns one, particularly when it has nothing to do with this thread?

Click "unwatch" and forget about it. I take that option on occasion.

You’ve picked a strange thing to argue But just because I’m sick of watching this, I randomly googled “Samsung Plasma TV”, and found weights all around what bholler has already posted for his own 55” model.

Can we stop debating the weight of a TV you have never even owned, with the guy who actually owns one, particularly when it has nothing to do with this thread?

He has a 50, but thanks for trying. I'm not debating either.

I was hoping some other people would post pictures of theirs above the mantel to help the guy out. Just sounds like he wants best of both worlds, and for the sake of the TV shouldn't hang it there.