Old Century medium wood stove upgrade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marine5068

Jan 5, 2011
Madoc, Ontario, Canada
I'd like to upgrade a 20 year old Century medium sized stove that came with my house for a new Blaze King- King Ultra.
I'm just not sure about catalytic and how to ensure it doesn't get blocked up by starting fires with newsprint. I heard it can cause the cat to fail premature that way.
It's also an expensive stove. $3600 here. A new large non-cat stove would be in the range of $1500-$2200.
Is it worth the extra money for the amount of wood savings and hassles of reloading with other non-cat stoves?
What was a typical pay-back period for most of you BK owners out there?

The BKK needs an 8" flue. If that is an issue the BK Princess or Sirocco 30 might be a better option because they take a 6" flue. BK recommends using a starter like SuperCedars to start fires. They make fires starting easy. If one is burning 24/7 in a cold climate then this may only be once in November. The BK may not use a lot less fuel than an efficient non-cat. It's advantage is that it burns at a more steady rate. When it's cold outside and the stove is being pushed, the difference can be minor. The main advantage is less frequent refueling, particularly in milder weather.

As far as I know, black and white newsprint is OK. The Woodstock IS or PH may be less expensive, not sure in Canada. There are other big cats like the Buck 91, Kuma, Appalachian, etc. Not sure if the Canadian stove builders make any cat stoves? What sq.ft. are you heating, how is the layout (open?) and the insulation and sealing of the house?

I thought a while back someone said that Woodstock stoves were not Canada tested and certified.

I poked around a little trying to find a list of Canada-approved stoves but didn't have any luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.