Old burner new to forum and need help with 5502

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trigger

Feb 1, 2015
Lower Michigan
I am a long time burner with the old 3 button 6039 burning pellets and I love it.HR 1 set at 9 with draft set at 1 running 225 degrees(nice flame and fairly clean glass) fan set at 9.No OAK- no draft kit.Here is my issue.My son inherited a 5502 and I am trying to help him set it up.It is running without a thermostat for now.The flame is not steady .As the pellets drop it flames up and then dies down but doesnt go out.Is this normal or should it be steady? I looked through the forum and found how to adjust feed HR 1 and aux +- right?Also it would seem if he turns up his room blower it it disrupts the firebox.Any ideas?

The room fan should not affect the flame. Check that stove to make sure there's no leaks. These 5502's tend to warp if you're not careful. Dollar bill test the door gasket. Mine was bad from the factory. This caused the flame to act funny.

The flame on those is supposed to vary. There's no damper, the draft fan cycles up and down instead. What is the vertical rise on his exhaust? I have a steadier flame with a 4 foot rise than with straight venting. If you need help with the C codes let me know. However for troubleshooting purposes that stove should be reset to factory. Aux + and - for 3 seconds, then let go when C1 shows. Then hit aux +- again for 3 seconds. This will do a reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.