Old Blaze King advice please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jfior1983

Aug 5, 2024
Alaska
Hi, I live in Alaska and just bought a house with a big old Blaze King. I'm attaching pictures. We are having a cleaning and inspection done in a few weeks. If anyone could provide the following advice:
1- previous owner used the stove, but mentioned he welded a crack in the door. I don't even know if this stove is safe to use. Thoughts?
2. Previous owner had a hand fashioned grate to put in the door, so you could watch the fire since this doesn't have glass. I'm sure that isn't safe, since the door is probably supposed to remain closed....am I correct?
3. Does anyone know exactly what model this is, so I can download instructions? It looks like PTJ, but I can't find that model online, or any info.
4. How dry does wood have to be for me to run this? I'm guessing one of the only benefits to a super old stove is that it isn't so finicky with wood moisture levels. I have both spruce and birch at varying moistures.
5. Any tips/tricks/advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm totally new to a wood stove.
6. Is there any danger to me or my family by (correctly) operating a stove this old? I have an infant and I'm concerned.

And yes, I will be upgrading to a new stove...next year. :)

Old Blaze King advice pleaseOld Blaze King advice pleaseOld Blaze King advice pleaseOld Blaze King advice pleaseOld Blaze King advice please

You'll need professional eyes on site to inspect not just the stove but the flue system to verify integrity and safety. It may be ok to burn in if given a clean bill of health. Dry wood is always the best, old stove or new. If burning wood >25% moisture content, check the flue monthly for buildup and clean if present but it's best to not do that. Too much heat is spent boiling off that water.

Reactions: Jfior1983
BKVP knows all about BK stoves, including older ones.

Last edited:
It may be very-well a PTJ202, however, without the model number stamped, it's hard to be 100% certain. You can see by the label there were 6 Blaze King locations in the USA making stoves back in the late 1970's-1980's. This was made in Moxee, WA.

PTJ202 is probably close enough....

BKVP

It may be very-well a PTJ202, however, without the model number stamped, it's hard to be 100% certain. You can see by the label there were 6 Blaze King locations in the USA making stoves back in the late 1970's-1980's. This was made in Moxee, WA.

PTJ202 is probably close enough....

BKVP
Do you believe a stove this old is safe to use?

Do you believe a stove this old is safe to use?
No way of knowing without a full inspection of stove and chimney system.

BKVP

The age of the stove is less of a concern with a welded steel stove. More important is how it was run and maintained, and how frequently. This requires eyes-on-site to do a thorough examination. The flue system needs the same degree of scrutiny. The old stove won't be nearly as effiicient or clean burning as a modern stove, but it may get an ok for running another season if it checks out well.

I would be quite concerned about running a stove with a welded crack.

While welding a crack can be done with good (safe) results, it can also be done with less skill. Moreover, the fact that there was a crack suggests the stove has either been run with inappropriate conditions, or is otherwise at the end of its life. Both would require a careful and detailed assessing of the shape it's on. Moreover, running a stove in ways not designed, also can wreak havoc on the flue, as noted above.

I would be quite concerned about running a stove with a welded crack.
Good points. Fortunately, on a steel stove, if it's done right, not a big deal unless there is an underlying flaw. The whole stove is welded. At least having it on the door makes it easy to keep track of. FWIW, I don't see obvious signs of overfiring.

Jfior1983 can you see the weld area? If so, can you post pictures of both sides of the door where the weld is?