Old barn beam mantle question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trapper89

Oct 13, 2016
pennsylvania
I'm currently laying up a stone veneer hearth for my wood stove and I'm finishing an old barn beam I saved from one of my job sites for the mantle. Id like to polyurethane the beam to make it easier to clean as its rough textured. My single wall pipe will be 20" from where it goes through the wall to the bottom side of the mantle. Do I need to worry about the polyurethane peeling or anything from the heat? It shouldn't get hot just warm, I'm just seeing if there are any paint experts on here. Thanks

It may be ok. Check the product label for temp rating. If concerned, a discrete heat shield could be attached to the bottom of the mantel on spacers. Paint it black and it will be barely noticeable.