OK, whaddya think THIS wood is?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN
My BIL said maybe Hickory but he's no ID guru. I don't think so..
ech wood bark.jpg ech wood.jpg

Oops, I'll get an end-grain pic in a bit..

That sounds possible, but what about that dark heartwood? I don't recall that in the soft Maple I've cut (Silver, Red.)

Could be a type of hickory, pignut or mockernut maybe.

Grain sure looks like hickory, in fact I’d guess it is, but the bark is different than the hickory we have here.

Definately looks like hickory on inside with white on outside and darker almost pinkish hue on inside of split.Their are around 18 different species of hickory in north america....with most in eastern half of country.

Reactions: weatherguy
Boy, I wish it was Hickory for my BIL's sake but alas, I fear not. I went to get the end grain pic, and examined the pile that my nephew and his work buddy got more closely. The bark on the original split pic posted above, the same split in this pic, looks very similar to the other Sweetgum in the pile (ID with a leaf on a round) but for some reason the center looks darker on some of the rounds.
ech gum 2.jpg
One of the whole rounds in this pic exhibits the dark center, and the edge of it is irregular, not like a true heartwood..same thing on the split. And all four have the reddish inner bark.
I'm now thinking that something was going on with that particular branch; Maybe it was starting to die?
ech gum.jpg

Everytime I look at it I see several different woods lol! The inside looks like a Maple grain, the pinhole on the cut sides makes me wonder if it is some kind of Ash, I have seen pinholes on cutsides of Hickory too but I don't think it's that, if it was Hickory it would have a manure smell and be heavy, that grain looks like a soft Maple to me. Sweetgum has a more stringy grain than that.

This is a good one, hope we nail it down!

grain looks like a soft Maple to me. Sweetgum has a more stringy grain than that
I thought of that yesterday after I left from getting the new pics; I'll split one of the Sweetgum rounds and compare the wood texture, not the color, of the two..

Wish I were better at ID from photos. Does not look like red or silver maple to me. Not at all, as far as the bark goes. It does not look like hickory either, but that could be possible.