Ok Fellas ! Small upstairs stove.

• Thread starter Thread starter Pallet Pete
  • Start date Start date
  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

So what are some good low clearance small stoves for approximately 600 sq ft. I would like to stick with Jotul if possible but any suggestion will be looked at over and over as I am super OCD. BB was right I am going to be a dual burner some day ;lol. We are not going to do this this year but I may by the stove this spring on clearance and put it out in my garage for storage till we have the hearth, pipes and roof kit ready.

Thanks
Pete

600 sq ft + Jotul = F100 or 602

Maybe an F3CB depending on how insulated your home is and climate.

I was once looking closely at the F100 for a similar install. Nice looking stoves with good clearances if I recall correctly.

In addition to the Jotuls mentioned take a look at the Hampton H200, Woodstock Keystone (or Palladian), and VC Intrepid II.

Reactions: Pallet Pete
I'd stay away from the Intrepid. Burn times are just two damn short and it is a VERY small stove with expensive upkeep.

If this were me and I was working with a good budget and clearances aren't tight, I would go with a Keystone/Palladian*, Blaze King Sirocco, or the PE T4. I am a firm believer in; if you are going with a small second stove, it needs to have the longest burn time possible to maintain your sanity as the winter progresses.

*Oh my god, I recommended a Woodstock, that never happens... :rolleyes:

Reactions: raybonz
I'm assuming that short burn times are a given. The burn times in any 1 cu ft stove are going to be on the short side. The 602 and F3CB will be 3-4 hrs. Of them the Intrepid is one of the best until you go up in size to a stove like the Keystone.

I'm assuming that short burn times are a given. The burn times in any 1 cu ft stove are going to be on the short side. The 602 and F3CB will be 3-4 hrs. Of them the Intrepid is one of the best until you go up in size to a stove like the Keystone.
The gripe I have against the Intrepid is that it is a small cat stove, without the burn times of a cat stove, and has the crappy old VC cat design that is a bit costly. If it was a non-cat stove with minimal maintenance, I'd be more forgiving against it.

I'm hoping the new models have the improved refractory assembly. Has this been done for the Intrepid II?

Too bad. What is the lifespan of the old refractory? I've only dealt with one and it was 10 yrs old and on it's second cat when the refractory was breaking down.

Too bad. What is the lifespan of the old refractory? I've only dealt with one and it was 10 yrs old and on it's second cat when the refractory was breaking down.
It varies. I ran mine for two seasons with a new assembly that I bought. After two years, there was wear and tear. 5+ years would be about right.

i have a jotul F3CB i used all last year, but it was a mild winter. i love it and i stoke it it at night, go to bed and it still has coals in the morning. i also have a 602 i no longer use but have kept because it was a rock solid stove and i might use it again someday in the garage. i have a summet in the basement i used as primary heat but running the jotul used much less wood.

cass

Pete, it surprises me to know you are thinking about another stove. With all that super insulation you put in plus the new stove I would think you should be well set for heat.

Reactions: ScotO
Pete, it surprises me to know you are thinking about another stove. With all that super insulation you put in plus the new stove I would think you should be well set for heat.

Because our upstairs is next to the attic it is some what hard to get the warm air into the bedroom. The rest of the house is really toasty ! I am going to put a through the floor vent in above the living room into the bedroom if that fails then I will seriously look at a upstairs stove. My alternate reason is I found out I can put one in the Garage as long as it draws air from outside and vents outside. The garage wont need a big stove as it is block and I can heat it really well with a small propane heater. Most likely we don't need one with a floor vent but I am preparing just in case. In all reality it will probably be in the garage either way I am interested as I spend a lot of time working in the garage all year round.

Pete

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Ever consider an old Jotul Series 3 catalytic stove? Same size as the F3 CB, and they pop up on ebay and Craigslist with regular frequency. One guy was selling a pristinely restored example for $700'ish last month.

Status
Not open for further replies.