Oil added in manufacturing of Pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Clarkbug

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 20, 2010
Upstate NY
Question for some of you who have been burning for a while...

I saw some Warm Front pellets at a store recently, and I noticed that it stated that they added a small amount of soy oil. Most other pellets I have used so far dont mention anything about adding oil, but are just wood.

From some other looking, it seems Warm Front is made by New England Pellets, which has since been purchased by Lignetics.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to a pellet with added oil? I assume this raises the BTU content slightly, but not sure what other sort of impact it would have.

I think it's used as a lubricant in the press.

Now if we are talking about hardwood pellets for a smoker, Traeger uses flavor oils in their products, for example their Hickory pellets don't actually have any hickory in it, its Alder or Oak with oils to make it taste like Hickory.

Yes, the Cheat River bags I have left have some soy oil in them according to the bag. Not sure if this has anything to do with why these particular brand of pellets enjoy leaving a bit of "cake" in my burn pot that has to be broken up and cleared out every 2 days.

I saw some Warm Front pellets at a store recently, and I noticed that it stated that they added a small amount of soy oil. Most other pellets I have used so far dont mention anything about adding oil, but are just wood.

From some other looking, it seems Warm Front is made by New England Pellets, which has since been purchased by Lignetics.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to a pellet with added oil? I assume this raises the BTU content slightly, but not sure what other sort of impact it would have.
Home Depot sells Lignetics Green Supreme this year and the bag says Soy Oil < .01%... just went through 3 tons and they burned perfectly. I know there are a lot of pellet "purists" on this board who only burn the $10 bags in their gold plated Harmon stoves, but they worked for me. $179/tom

Home Depot sells Lignetics Green Supreme this year and the bag says Soy Oil < .01%... just went through 3 tons and they burned perfectly. I know there are a lot of pellet "purists" on this board who only burn the $10 bags in their gold plated Harmon stoves, but they worked for me. $179/tom
LOL Do I sense jealousy?
Actually if you read posts here much at all, most Harman owners take pride in the fact their stoves will burn almost,if not any grade of pellets, without ill effects other than they might have to clean it sooner than at one ton intervals. The "Harmans will burn rocks" jokes have been around for over 20 years. And many prefer cheaper pellets, as they burn slower, heat released slower.

LOL Do I sense jealousy?
Actually if you read posts here much at all, most Harman owners take pride in the fact their stoves will burn almost,if not any grade of pellets, without ill effects other than they might have to clean it sooner than at one ton intervals. The "Harmans will burn rocks" jokes have been around for over 20 years. And many prefer cheaper pellets, as they burn slower, heat released slower.

i was just joking and yes, I'm jealous and simply can't afford a Harmon. My $2000 Comfortbilt HP-22 even stretched my budget. I'm just happy not to fell, chop and split 3 cords a year

I bought 4 tons of Green Supreme from Lowe’s last spring when they were on sale and have been burning them most of the winter in my 2 stoves with no issues. (I also burned a ton of Clean Fire) It looks like now I can get them for even less money from the local HD. Very tempting but for the best price I would need to buy 3 tons. I still have 2 tons from last year so I would want to ”make” more room first. Now if they still have the deal going in a month or so I may jump on it.

Ken

Last edited:
I wish I could find pellets for 179/ton I had close $100 a ton more in mine with delivery charge.

My Harman isn't gold plated but it seems to burn just about anything I put in it well. Only ones I ever saw burn odd was the blue bag ones from Tractor Supply, they left hard clinkers in the pot.

Reactions: maraakate
I wish I could find pellets for 179/ton I had close $100 a ton more in mine with delivery charge.

My Harman isn't gold plated but it seems to burn just about anything I put in it well. Only ones I ever saw burn odd was the blue bag ones from Tractor Supply, they left hard clinkers in the pot.
Yeah those were terrible. Always left large ashcakes and didn't give out much heat. Glad they're gone.

I burn Somersets, a high end hardwood pellet and it indicates on the bag a specification of less than 2% vegetable based oil.

Although I'm no expert on pellets, the biggest factor I've found is consistency not only from different manufacturers but different batches between the same manufacturer.. I've had 6 tons of Stove chow delivered and 2 tons were very dark colored, 2 tons medium colored and the last 2 tons light colored. the lighter seemed to burn cleaner but the darker seemed to run hotter. Another factor was the hardness of the pellets. Some were very hard to snap in half and some sort of just crumbled. The harder ones seemed to burn better. And finally moisture content. I burn 3 tons/year but sometimes buy 6 tons if the price is right. Noticed the stacked row of year old pellets contacting the basement floor must have picked up moisture and they didn't really snap in half, more like bent until broken. these burned a lot dirtier.

I think it all boils down to what and who is shoveling what type of wood they have into the machine and how much pressure is used on the machine. Every manufacturer has good and bad batches. Possibly the higher end pellet manufacturer have tighter quality controls but sure you pay extra for that. When I buy in bulk at the big box store, I'll order 6 pallets and load the 1st 50 bags into my truck. If they look good, I'll mark the 5 pallets right next to it with my name and tell the service desk I better get the pallets I marked or I won't accept delivery.

Just did this last week, and expecting the delivery of 5 more tons today. These were Green Supreme from Home Depot in Northern NJ @ 1.79/ton and $79 delivery. Burned 10 bags already and were the best pellets I've used since i got the stove 3 years ago. Seems excessive but the last thing I want is a 2 year supply of crap.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Although I'm no expert on pellets, the biggest factor I've found is consistency not only from different manufacturers but different batches between the same manufacturer.. I've had 6 tons of Stove chow delivered and 2 tons were very dark colored, 2 tons medium colored and the last 2 tons light colored. the lighter seemed to burn cleaner but the darker seemed to run hotter. Another factor was the hardness of the pellets. Some were very hard to snap in half and some sort of just crumbled. The harder ones seemed to burn better. And finally moisture content. I burn 3 tons/year but sometimes buy 6 tons if the price is right. Noticed the stacked row of year old pellets contacting the basement floor must have picked up moisture and they didn't really snap in half, more like bent until broken. these burned a lot dirtier.

I think it all boils down to what and who is shoveling what type of wood they have into the machine and how much pressure is used on the machine. Every manufacturer has good and bad batches. Possibly the higher end pellet manufacturer have tighter quality controls but sure you pay extra for that. When I buy in bulk at the big box store, I'll order 6 pallets and load the 1st 50 bags into my truck. If they look good, I'll mark the 5 pallets right next to it with my name and tell the service desk I better get the pallets I marked or I won't accept delivery.

Just did this last week, and expecting the delivery of 5 more tons today. These were Green Supreme from Home Depot in Northern NJ @ 1.79/ton and $79 delivery. Burned 10 bags already and were the best pellets I've used since i got the stove 3 years ago. Seems excessive but the last thing I want is a 2 year supply of crap.
Stove chows were HD's go to for yrs. They now buy from lignetics who own all the green supremes flavors.. 7 i think. Also own eneregex who bagged and dist stove chows to box stores... might be still getting stove chows in different bag under GS blend..would not surprise me.. but to your point, i buy top softwoods for low ash and much higher btu. That said, i see differences at times even with them. Size changes, color etc.

there are a lot of pellet "purists" on this board who only burn the $10 bags in their gold plated Harmon stoves
I hope that's in jest; if Harmon makes a gold plated stove... my wife will want one! _g

There are some boutique places that charge ridiculous amounts for pellets around here, but if you do your homework you can find good deals on quality pellets. I'm assuming these $9/bag, etc. places are just for people who don't know any better and use the pellet stove as a cutesy gimmick in their home and aren't using it 24/7 during the winter months.

There are some boutique places that charge ridiculous amounts for pellets around here, but if you do your homework you can find good deals on quality pellets. I'm assuming these $9/bag, etc. places are just for people who don't know any better and use the pellet stove as a cutesy gimmick in their home and aren't using it 24/7 during the winter months.
Actually i have seen northern warmth dog firs at 449.00 ton.

• Wow
Reactions: maraakate
10 bucks a bag and i will be out of the wood pellet heating community.
That's probably the Brazilian Rosewood pellets.

Reactions: Tonyray