Oh ROOOOOO

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Roo, what is the inside measurements of your Summit?
My Insert measures 18" deep x 22-1/2" wide inside, this is without fire brick installed.
Seems a tad small. I thought these were deeper than wider?
18" aint gonna fit after firebrick is installed. And then theres room for air wash. I'm thinking more like 16"?
Tell me your thoughts brother.

inside ,
from east to west insdie of fire bricks is 20"
From back to glass 20 1/2"
From back to air inlet 18"
botton brick to top baffle 12 1/2"

I normally cut all my wood 16" and works great. If its 14" then no problem , its its 20" still no problem as it can sit on the air inlet and the sir goes under the wood until it burns off and drops.

16" is a nice size wood too because its easier to handle and keep in mind with 16" wood loading front to back in the summit .........You have 20 1/2" of width to load a lot of 16" logs if need be.

You may also choose to cut wood to 19" and load east to west but i think the stove runs better loading front to back / north to south.

I also burn in the heart of winter for over night burns and leaving the house 16" long by 26", 30" + around logs times 2 or three logs depending on each log round size. , now thats a chunk of wood.

The over all thinking of cutting wood to 16" size is ...a lot of extra cutting over say 22" logs , but again you can make up the difference in burning larger rounds and not have to split so small of wood for the main part of the winter. Dont get me wrong , you'll still need around 20% of your supply being smaller splits for restarting new fires and low burn/less heat in the Fall and Spring.

These newer EPA stoves dont need the large load of wood of yester-years stoves ............ when your burning the smoke and not letting it go up the chimney then your getting that extra heat and in turn ......... need less wood.

Roospike said:
inside ,
from east to west insdie of fire bricks is 20"
From back to glass 20 1/2"
From back to air inlet 18"
botton brick to top baffle 12 1/2"

I normally cut all my wood 16" and works great. If its 14" then no problem , its its 20" still no problem as it can sit on the air inlet and the sir goes under the wood until it burns off and drops.

16" is a nice size wood too because its easier to handle and keep in mind with 16" wood loading front to back in the summit .........You have 20 1/2" of width to load a lot of 16" logs if need be.

You may also choose to cut wood to 19" and load east to west but i think the stove runs better loading front to back / north to south.

I also burn in the heart of winter for over night burns and leaving the house 16" long by 26", 30" + around logs times 2 or three logs depending on each log round size. , now thats a chunk of wood.

The over all thinking of cutting wood to 16" size is ...a lot of extra cutting over say 22" logs , but again you can make up the difference in burning larger rounds and not have to split so small of wood for the main part of the winter. Dont get me wrong , you'll still need around 20% of your supply being smaller splits for restarting new fire and low burn/less heat in the Fall and Spring.

Thanks man, just wanted to make sure I got what I paid for. LOL
Can't wait to share the Summit stories with ya.

Hogwildz said:

No problem brotherman ...........wez all waiting for you to FIRE IT UP !

Roospike said:
Hogwildz said:

No problem brotherman ...........wez all waiting for you to FIRE IT UP !

I KNOW, I KNOW, the pressure, its crushing me!!!!!!!!! ;)

Hogwildz did you buy the summit insert? I've narrowed it down to PE summit insert, Hampton 300i..wife likes the cast look...I'm not sold on it ..yet. I'll keep an eye on the post to see how it works out for ya. Gotta luv that free wood, I have buds on the public works crew..they deliver all the wood they remove from city parks, or old trees around the hood to me.....for free of course..coolsmile: ). I also picked up from ebay a Ram Splitter for 680.00/ gas powered ..no problem splittin 30" oak rounds..its a trip gettin em up on the splitter as mine is horizontal only....keeps us young I guess.

Fist-o-Fury said:
Hogwildz did you buy the summit insert? I've narrowed it down to PE summit insert, Hampton 300i..wife likes the cast look...I'm not sold on it ..yet. I'll keep an eye on the post to see how it works out for ya. Gotta luv that free wood, I have buds on the public works crew..they deliver all the wood they remove from city parks, or old trees around the hood to me.....for free of course..coolsmile: ). I also picked up from ebay a Ram Splitter for 680.00/ gas powered ..no problem splittin 30" oak rounds..its a trip gettin em up on the splitter as mine is horizontal only....keeps us young I guess.

Yes I got myself the Summit insert. After extensive research, lots of questions here, and Roospike tilting the balance LOL. I went with the Summit.
Its very solid, well made. I am still waiting on liner to install, but everything is prepped to that point. I was considering the Regency I3100, which is same as the Hampton your looking at, except the Regency is plate steel instead of cast iron. The cast irons look great. I was concerned with the cast irons being cemented at the joints rather than welded. Cast from what I read can crack. Not sure how easily or under what circumstances. I just wanted more maintenance free so to speak. And the casts I seen were more expensive also. I was down to the Summit, the Regency, and the Avalon Olympic. Came close to both the other two, looked at the other 2 in person at dealer.
But went with the PE, from word of mouth on here, the EBT caught my eye also. This thing was just like a magnet, and something told me.this is the one to get. So I went with my gut. Which ia almost always right, and I rarely listen to and regret not. My pallets were free, the cuts weren't, but so cheap, it was damn close to free ;)
Nice deal on the splitter. I'm gonna shoot for the Ryobi. Heard good praise about it. And the electric I can use in the garage when its snowy & cold out.
I am so far more than happy with my Summit purchase. I'm sure when its fired up, I'll be like a pig in s--t. Both are great inserts. I feel just so Summit like LMAO. Not to mention it had a larger fire box, blower comes with it standard, the fan is variable speed instead of just hi & low, and its front to back load, no logs rolling out. These were important features to me. And the Summit met as close to what I wanted better than the rest. You may want to consider some of these things when you make your decision.
It was just so right. Good luck, and keep us posted on your venture.

Status
Not open for further replies.