odor from stove or pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

smmm

Hearth Supporter
Aug 1, 2010
Ohio
I had my fourth burn in the buck model 81 last night. After awhile when the fire gets really hot, there is still a pretty strong odor from the stove or the DVL double wall pipe. Last night you could smell it through the house. It definitely does not smell like smoke from the wood. I know that there is a curing process for the paint but I thought it was only one or two burns???

Is it a plastic smell? My installers forgot/neglected to take the clear plastic sticker off the back of my duravent pipe. It baked on after the first fire and I spent the next few fires peeling off pieces before the pipe got too hot to touch. There is still a residue on the pipe but the plastic smell is becoming fainter every firing.

Did you hit a new high temp? You will get paint curing odors every time you hit a new high temp. It could be a lot of things since you have only burned 4 times, I would guess it is paint, possibly a sticker as mtneer said, some oils from manufacturing process that are still burning off, etc. Wait until you have a few more burns under your belt. I would be willing to bet that a few more burns with some higher temps, and the smell will be gone.

the odor is normal- it usually takes several burns to get all of the paint to cure. As you reach new temperatures a little more will cure but eventually the smell will go away.

My Oslo still gets a little smell from the first fire of the season.

Thanks for the fast replies. I do think I hit a new high temp last night. Funny you should mention the stickers. I peeled them off last night about halfway through the burn. They did stink. Just didn't think that would cause the whole house to have the smell. I think it is more the dvl pipe cause it takes awhile for it to get hot enough to cure.? I'll keep you posted...

Every time you hit a new high temp, the smell will generate. It can be used to alert you to a problem too. I have forgotten to adjust the stove a time or two and was alerted to the issue by the smell.

smmm said:
Thanks for the fast replies. I do think I hit a new high temp last night. Funny you should mention the stickers. I peeled them off last night about halfway through the burn. They did stink. Just didn't think that would cause the whole house to have the smell. I think it is more the dvl pipe cause it takes awhile for it to get hot enough to cure.? I'll keep you posted...

Just think of bacon cooking. The smell goes through the house and lingers for the day.
Same thing happens if I don't take a shower. :lol:
Wait, did I type that out loud? :cheese:
I still get a very faint odor from the pipe that I put in before season of '10 if the temps get up around 400 or a little more on the pipe.

mywaynow said:
Every time you hit a new high temp, the smell will generate. It can be used to alert you to a problem too. I have forgotten to adjust the stove a time or two and was alerted to the issue by the smell.

+1 . . . and as others have said . . . it doesn't take much to smell up the place.

What type of problem can it alert you to? Am I over firing the stove? How much should I close the air intake? I hope I'm not damaging anything. I'm new to this and not sure how to adjust the stove throughout the burn process.

smmm said:
What type of problem can it alert you to? Am I over firing the stove? How much should I close the air intake? I hope I'm not damaging anything. I'm new to this and not sure how to adjust the stove throughout the burn process.

I do believe the "problem" being referenced here is forgetting to step down the intake. No you are NOT over firing if it smells.

Here is how I run my stove (not an insert) ...

Ok, from coals in the stove, not an over-abundance but some. Load her up with air open all the way. Leave air open all the way until wood is charred (15-20 minutes) nicely. (usually flue gas temps are between 600-800 at this point) Close air down 25-50 % depending on the look of the fire. Another 5 - 10 minutes, close air down another 25 %. Another 5-10 minutes she is either completely closed down or primary is only open a smidge. I am now in cruise control for the next 8 - 10 hours. Lather, rinse repeat. Of course YMMV but, that is how I do it.

Great advice. Yesterday there were a couple of time I left the air take completely open through a few of the cycles. Needless to say I hit a few new high temperatures. I will try your method today.

smmm said:
Great advice. Yesterday there were a couple of time I left the air take completely open through a few of the cycles. Needless to say I hit a few new high temperatures. I will try your method today.

By leaving the air wide open you are sending all those BTUs up the pipe.

Right on. Open draft, heat goes up. Close draft part way, heat radiates out of stove into room and you are happier.

Do you have a stove thermometer on the stove? If not, I'd highly suggest getting one. They are only from $10-$15 so not a big expense. I like the Condar the best but some like the Rutland.

On the smell, if you can light a couple of candles that will help take smoke and smell out of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.