Odd Noise When Stove Starts Up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cobalt

Dec 18, 2015
Nevada
So hello everyone. Here I am again with my yearly question as something always seems to pop up but this seems to be a small but annoying issue. I did a nice cleaning off my stove and it fired up and has been working great for me. After about 5-6 start ups though I am hearing a weird noise when it first starts up in the morning. Have you never heard a Dr. give a ultra-sound to a pregnant woman? That weird sound it makes. Well that is what I actually sounds like. I'm thinking it has something to do with the mechanism that pushes out the pellets but I really don't know. Any ideas? Thanks.

Here is a file of the sound. About 10 seconds in there is a crash. That is not the stove. Just a new kitty.

https://app.box.com/s/10yn104yshx1ay9mymsiy909kscq0zc6

Last edited:
Sounds like an auger motor bearing binding up.

Reactions: Cobalt
I would order new one. But oil the old one to get ya by

Reactions: kappel15 and Cobalt
These are sealed units, so oiling will only get you by for a while. kap