OAK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbone

Jan 11, 2011
Buchanan, New York
looking for your guys thoughts, for my drolet 65 I was thinking of adding OAK, have big open basement room that it is in with plenty of air but it can't hurt, question I have is it takes a 3" pipe, I have 2" hole in my house already (from old oil tank) what do you think about running 3" to hole then reducing it...to the 2" hole???
Drolet does not have a sealed OAK connection on stove so it would still pull from room...
thanks ladies and gentlemen...

looking for your guys thoughts, for my drolet 65 I was thinking of adding OAK, have big open basement room that it is in with plenty of air but it can't hurt, question I have is it takes a 3" pipe, I have 2" hole in my house already (from old oil tank) what do you think about running 3" to hole then reducing it...to the 2" hole???
Drolet does not have a sealed OAK connection on stove so it would still pull from room...
thanks ladies and gentlemen...

If you are still wanting to pull from the room it kind of defeats the purpose of an OAK somewhat. What is the existing 2" hole thru? To get the hole a bit bigger to accept the 3" is only a small amount of work to enlarge the existing hole. A concrete foundation wall would be a bit more work but still possible with a chisel and hammer or a small chipping hammer drill you could rent.

I've heard that some stoves don't have a sealed OAK, which seems weird to me. However, in your case, I believe that would mean that it isn't a huge deal to go with 2" instead of 3" because it would still get plenty of room air. But, I am not a professional, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn, so TIFWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.