Oak question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fawnzy

Feb 20, 2022
Pennsylvania
Hey guys I’m wanting to install an OAK this season and was unsure if there was a height requirement in relation to the exhaust pipe. does it need to be a certain length away or below from where my exhaust is outside?
Just wanted to clarify before I drilled this hole.

The stove make and model would be nice
That said Enviro wants a 12-inch separation
Check your manual the clearance should be there.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Its a harman p43 ive looked in the manual and I dont see anything about it unless im missing it. Just says about the OAK for an install in a mobile home. Im mainly asking because I want it to be able to pass for my insurance.

From the p43 manual
To install outside air use 2 3/8" I.D. non-combustible flex pipe. There is a break-away hole on the rear panel of the P43 stove which must be removed before connecting the flex pipe. The pipe should be run outside and terminate to the side or below the vent pipe outlet so the flue outlet is more than 12" from the inlet cover. The maximum length run of this pipe is 15 feet. If a longer run is needed the size must be increased to 3". Inlet cover, part number 1-10-08542 should be used to keep birds, rodents, etc.out of the pipe

Reactions: ABusWrench
From the p43 manual
To install outside air use 2 3/8" I.D. non-combustible flex pipe. There is a break-away hole on the rear panel of the P43 stove which must be removed before connecting the flex pipe. The pipe should be run outside and terminate to the side or below the vent pipe outlet so the flue outlet is more than 12" from the inlet cover. The maximum length run of this pipe is 15 feet. If a longer run is needed the size must be increased to 3". Inlet cover, part number 1-10-08542 should be used to keep birds, rodents, etc.out of the pipe

That 12" can be maintained by terminating the OAK flush with the siding of the house. The termination of the exhaust has to be at least 12" from the siding, so there you have your 12". My premade thimble has the hole for the OAK a bit lower and about 4" away from where the exhaust pipe runs thru. With a 16" or longer pipe (because you don't want a connection within the wall cavity), then you should be all set.

EXHAUST.JPG OAK.JPG

Hey guys I’m wanting to install an OAK this season and was unsure if there was a height requirement in relation to the exhaust pipe. does it need to be a certain length away or below from where my exhaust is outside?
Just wanted to clarify before I drilled this hole.
this was professionally installed..
OAK air inlet is at bottom of the square you see.
quite far from the exhaust...

IMG_1841.JPG