OAK question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kevin Weis

Minister of Fire
Mar 3, 2018
Union Bridge, Md
Other than a hood on the outside terminus, what would keep the outside air on a windy day from pushing air into a lit stove more than what it wants to draw? Thanks.

I can't think of anything practical.
I can tell you that I've operated multiple stoves with an OAK on the north (windward) side of our house and have never had the problem you mention. The OAK inlet has a simple metal dryer hood on it (without flap).

On the intake side, you could give the intake some cover (a dryer hood maybe), a warm-air trap (add a few feet of flexible duct bent into a U), or both.

On the output side, you can decouple the OAK from the stove (some stoves are designed to force this via an air gap between the stove's intake and the OAK duct). If you have a direct connection, this could be as simple as punching a bunch of holes in the duct as close to the stove as possible. Adding a warm air trap is suggested in this case if you don't burn 24x7.

Just wondering if this was a issue as I'm in the middle of installing one on the windward side and was thinking what if a 30 mph wind pushes into it, how would it affect a running stove with a positive pressure on the air intake that would be created? Or maybe it doesn't have this affect?

Just wondering if this was a issue as I'm in the middle of installing one on the windward side and was thinking what if a 30 mph wind pushes into it, how would it affect a running stove with a positive pressure on the air intake that would be created? Or maybe it doesn't have this affect?
It usually doesn't cause problems but it certainly can

Reactions: Kevin Weis
I was contemplating putting one in. But I decided against it. Why would I spend thousands of $ on sealing/insulating and than cut a permanent 4” hole through the wall. I educated most of my family and friends. When you shower crack the window open. When you run a dryer/hood fan crack two windows open. It seems to work ok.

Perhaps fabricate a hood out of a short section of larger pipe with an endcap on standoff L brackets that holds it from the house about an inch. Or put a 90º elbow on the outside facing downward and cover the bottom end with rodent screen.

An update: we had a breezy day today with a 15-20 mph gusts out of northwest at around 50 degrees. The OAK is on the northwest side of house around two feet off the ground. I don't have a hood on the outside yet. There seemed to be no effect on the stove operation from last night with no wind at around 30 degrees. Did notice significant condensation on the intake pipe inside this morning. Can see where this will need to be insulated. This was not a surprise though.

Have had wind blasting into mine and had no effect whatsoever on the fire. The only time this problem would happen is in some freak circumstance where the top of the chimney was protected from the same wind that is hitting the intake. Overblown hype if you ask me. The wind comes from any given direction depending on weather fronts. In practical use you will never have a problem.

Reactions: Kevin Weis
Other than a hood on the outside terminus, what would keep the outside air on a windy day from pushing air into a lit stove more than what it wants to draw? Thanks.
Barometric damper on the stove pipe

Barometric damper on the stove pipe
No no no. That would not help this issue at all. And if it did happen the positive pressure could push fumes out that baro damper. That and barometric dampers have absolutely no place on a wood stove

Have had wind blasting into mine and had no effect whatsoever on the fire. The only time this problem would happen is in some freak circumstance where the top of the chimney was protected from the same wind that is hitting the intake. Overblown hype if you ask me. The wind comes from any given direction depending on weather fronts. In practical use you will never have a problem.
I have seen a quad warped and cracked in 2 months because of this. It absolutely can and does happen. Yes it is pretty rare the situation needs to be just right but don't dismiss it.

I have seen a quad warped and cracked in 2 months because of this. It absolutely can and does happen. Yes it is pretty rare the situation needs to be just right but don't dismiss it.

Wouldnt a person notice something amiss? If the wind was affecting a stove to that degree it would be obvious I'd think. Too bad YouTube doesnt have a video of a stove with it happening to. Interesting topic. Dont dismiss it for sure. Be alert and know your stove.

Wouldnt a person notice something amiss? If the wind was affecting a stove to that degree it would be obvious I'd think. Too bad YouTube doesnt have a video of a stove with it happening to. Interesting topic. Dont dismiss it for sure. Be alert and know your stove.
Yes if someone is experienced they would notice. Or even if they had been given a basic training by the dealer or installer they would. But sadly that often is not the case.

Yes know your stove the problem in this case was this was all they knew their stove to do. They were on a ridge like me where it is almost always windy. They had never used a stove before and by the time they realized there was a problem it was to late.