OAK (outside air kit) question from a hesitating newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

brucelon

Hearth Supporter
Oct 24, 2010
High desert, New Mexico
I have just had my new Blaze King Princess Ultra installed, and have yet to fire it up.

The guy who installed the stove did not install the OAK b/c he claimed that it's not necessary b/c my house is big, nearly 2000 sq. ft. The owner's manual says that an OAK is mandatory for all mobile homes.

My house is a new triple-wide manufactured home on a permanent foundation. So does "manufactured" equal "mobile"?

If I can operate efficiently and safely without an OAK, I'd prefer it b/c I'm not wild about drilling through my beautiful brick tiles to get to the crawlspace. Not to mention I'd have to undo the chimney and move the 450# stove again to install it.

Please weigh in - Winter's icy fingers are tapping on my walls...

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] OAK (outside air kit) question from a hesitating newbie
    newstove.webp
    103.6 KB · Views: 532
On permanent foundation does not sound mobile to me.
Mobile homes have the chassis framing with wheels still under them with skirting around to close off that space.
Fire that stove up and enjoy!

In a few billion years when the sun expands and engulfs the earth - the question of OAK / no OAK will still be debated. I have it and like it. BUT I recommend try your beautiful stove and see if everything works to your satisfaction. Make sure it is getting enough air for good combustion and that it doesn't create any annoying drafts in the house. Enjoy the heat!

m159267 said:
In a few billion years when the sun expands and engulfs the earth - the question of OAK / no OAK will still be debated. I have it and like it. BUT I recommend try your beautiful stove and see if everything works to your satisfaction. Make sure it is getting enough air for good combustion and that it doesn't create any annoying drafts in the house. Enjoy the heat!

+1
Dryer vents & furnace air vent along with a few small air leaks through the house should
give you enough air to operate just fine.

(your bypass is open) :)

Good pic.
Nice set up.

I am jealous of your triple wide. I hate living in a single wide. >.<

I have an OAK and it really seems to help with getting the fire the air it needs. But I think with your house you'd be fine either way.

~Rose

I'm quite certain I would have trouble with my stove without the outdoor air kit. Even with, if I run my dryer and a bath fan is on it will pull smoke from the stove/chimney if I don't crack a window.

Now why run it through the floor when you could just run it through the wall that the window is on?

If it says it's mandatory, there's probably a good reason for it. I would have it installed, but I wouldn't have the patience to wait for it to get installed without first lighting a few fires to enjoy my new stove ;). The worst that happens if you do install it? You'll have less negative pressure in the house, and maybe slightly more heat because you won't be sucking in as much cold outside air.

Bruce, My stove is fed by an OAK which was installed before the stove. I am very happy with its performance. However, because of all the work involved in retrofitting an OAK to your Princess, my recommendation is that you first use your stove without the OAK. If you find the stove seems starved for air or is drawing exhaust air from a boiler, etc. into the house you can slightly open the top of the double hung window to the left of the stove (in the photo). That small opening might provide all the combustion air needed.

Even with the OAK, most of the time I have the top of a window near the stove slightly(approx. 1/4") open to introduce fresh air into the house. My double hung window is about as far from the stove as yours but mine is to the right of the stove. Compared to my four years in this new(2004) house without a stove, the combination of an OAK and a small amount of fresh air seems to be the right combination for solving my normal winter-time respiratory distress.

The slightly open window does not cause any cold drafts and because it is so close to the stove, any cold air is very quickly heated. So far, I am unable to detect any negative effects of having the window slightly open. If you try this suggestion and it doesn't work for you, the OAK for your Princess can be more conveniently retrofitted next spring or summer.

Good luck and best wishes. :) John_M

Edit: Your installation appears to be well done. If this corner photo is an example of the openness of the rest of the room I'll bet it looks very nice, indeed. Kudos.

Very nice install.

FWIW, it might be easier to route an OAK through the wall, if you decide to go that way.

I like the cleanest, simplest look to my installation. I know that a trans-wall OAK would be pretty darned easy to do, but I'd rather run it straight down behind the pedestal base thru the floor - where nobody can see it. Thanks though to you and all other commenters. THIS IS ONE GREAT FORUM!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.