NS vs EW Observations on my Osburn 2400i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NoobTube

Burning Hunk
Nov 11, 2013
Seymour, CT
So I figured I would give my observations on my stove in my setup for overnight burns
Here is my method and setup for each

Roughly a 25ft Flue 6" insulated with vermiculite and a block off plate.
Wood is a mix of birch, Oak, Maple, Ash, and the rare pine split.

EW Observations:
Build my first fire or load on low coals. Let it build up to roughly 400 and shut the air down all the way. Fan goes on automatically. Usually the stove will go up to around 750, sometimes more if I load on more coals before it drops and cruises.

I feel like I fit less wood in in the EW Configuration, sometimes burn my forearms but generally get a hotter fire and unless the wood splits are massive, acceptable coaling.

NS Observations:
Repeat fire building and shut down sometimes happens at 350 since I feel like I'm seeing more flames in the box. Stove will get up to 700, sometimes 750.

I feel like I fit more wood in and have the ability to stuff smaller splits in crevices in the fire box. Downside is i sometimes angle my wood up and I hit the fire shield thing on top and it gouges it. (my fault) Sometimes I get larger coals out of this, although I suspect this might be due to wetter wood.

All in all, I think I like NS fires more and the advantage of EW is only maybe 1-2" in overall length. I tend to use EW loading when I want to burn rounds or make a shoulder season fire, or have more of a 'show' in the viewing window.

I do find that EW typically makes my fires hotter, and I've had to open the door a few times to cool it down as I've climbed over 800 a few times, once I had a dull red glow on the top plate and could see the flue collar glowing. Scared the crap out of me and I now know what NOT to do.

Figured for anyone who has a 2400 or is looking to get one, this might help a bit. Again, your experience might be different, but for someone with a strong draft and even just average wood, this stove will burn pretty hot.

I have a Pacific Energy Summit and only load NS, seems to burn the best in that configuration. YMMV depending on stove design and wood being burned.

When loading EW, try raking all of the coals to the front of the firebox. Then carve a NS valley in the ashes from the coal bed to the back of the firebox. Then, load large splits in the back on the ashes (not the coals). Stack at least two splits on the back row. Then, load a medium split in front of the back row of wood and a smaller split on the front coals. Then pack tightly on top of the wood. This should help slow down this EW burns. If you try it, let me know how it works out.

I prefer NS loading in my firebox too, but I have really hairy forearms.

Reactions: dafattkidd
I prefer NS loading in my firebox too, but I have really hairy forearms.
Good point. I find N/S loading safer for loading too. My hands don't go past the front of the firebox.

I do both. Some of my wood is over 20" so it needs to be loaded EW. It gets little sketchy loading the back of the box.

So I figured I would give my observations on my stove in my setup for overnight burns
Here is my method and setup for each

Roughly a 25ft Flue 6" insulated with vermiculite and a block off plate.
Wood is a mix of birch, Oak, Maple, Ash, and the rare pine split.

EW Observations:
Build my first fire or load on low coals. Let it build up to roughly 400 and shut the air down all the way. Fan goes on automatically. Usually the stove will go up to around 750, sometimes more if I load on more coals before it drops and cruises.

I feel like I fit less wood in in the EW Configuration, sometimes burn my forearms but generally get a hotter fire and unless the wood splits are massive, acceptable coaling.

NS Observations:
Repeat fire building and shut down sometimes happens at 350 since I feel like I'm seeing more flames in the box. Stove will get up to 700, sometimes 750.

I feel like I fit more wood in and have the ability to stuff smaller splits in crevices in the fire box. Downside is i sometimes angle my wood up and I hit the fire shield thing on top and it gouges it. (my fault) Sometimes I get larger coals out of this, although I suspect this might be due to wetter wood.

All in all, I think I like NS fires more and the advantage of EW is only maybe 1-2" in overall length. I tend to use EW loading when I want to burn rounds or make a shoulder season fire, or have more of a 'show' in the viewing window.

I do find that EW typically makes my fires hotter, and I've had to open the door a few times to cool it down as I've climbed over 800 a few times, once I had a dull red glow on the top plate and could see the flue collar glowing. Scared the crap out of me and I now know what NOT to do.

Figured for anyone who has a 2400 or is looking to get one, this might help a bit. Again, your experience might be different, but for someone with a strong draft and even just average wood, this stove will burn pretty hot.

Thank you for posting this I just installed a Osburn 2400 free standing stove haven’t had much time to experiment with it mostly been burning ew fire due to Lengh of the wood I have and I also didn’t get the blower for wanted to see if I really needed it before spending the extra $239 forit and so far been good with out it with the lay out of our home and placement of stove I didn’t think I’d need a blower and so far I am very happy with my choice to buy this stove I have nick named it the heat beast I am surprised I don’t see more post and owners posting this stove is awesome and is very fairly priced and has a nice look with large window only con that I have found with it so far is ew burn can take a 21 in log and to do ns burn your wood must be 18 in wish they would have the fire box the same size for both directions my dealer didn’t have the stove in the store so I was only able to see a picture of it I was also looking at the nepolean S9 but went with the Osburn and I am completely happy with my pick I probably could have went smaller but as I see it I can always make a smaller fire but in a small stove you can only make a fire so big or your gonna over fire it I had the Osburn pellet stove for 12 years and was ok with it but just to many things with all the electronics that could go wrong ang waiting for service and price of service made it more easier choice going back to wood and I enjoy a nice flickering fire then watching a blow torch type fire I also looked at other (brand name ) stoves and the prices were just more then I think they need to be don’t be fulled by popularity or name shop and investigate stoves And lay out of your home and needs

Attachments

• NS vs EW Observations on my Osburn 2400i
    48382E6A-E4E1-4912-9BA4-7CE0289A5F15.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 165
Reactions: dafattkidd