Note mount heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ffmike1907

Jan 25, 2022
New Jersey
Note mount heat
I have a fireplace that was built in 1973 it is 29 inches deep and 40 inches wide my issue is I cannot seem to generate enough heat out of the fireplace to heat up the room. Looking for suggestions on ways I can get more heat out of the old fireplace?

View attachment 290671I have a fireplace that was built in 1973 it is 29 inches deep and 40 inches wide my issue is I cannot seem to generate enough heat out of the fireplace to heat up the room. Looking for suggestions on ways I can get more heat out of the old fireplace?
Stop using the fireplace it will probably be warmer.

Sorry but open fireplaces are horribly inefficient. In many cases they are actually a net heat loss. If you want to actually heat with it the best option is a wood insert

Get rid of that screen. It is preventing heat from coming toward you (and depriving air to the fire). I'm not here to speak on heating rooms, houses with fireplaces. I'm here to address my pet peeve of people putting screens in front of their fireplaces. It is sometimes necessary when leaving the fireplace re toddlers, pets going to an open flame. Otherwise they are counterproductive.

Embers can be a concern. But not a worry when you are there. If you need an ember pad because your hearth ain't doing it, then get an ember pad. That carpeting is a potential hazard actually.

People have had luck with a product called grate wall of fire with the fire back plate

Before I had a freestanding stove, I had an open fireplace. As bholler says they are horribly inefficient, suck heat out of the house and require constant attention.

That said I was able to get some heat by partially closing the flue. Mine had a lever to open/close the flue door and it would stay in a partial position. Similar to a flue damper.

Once I had burned several logs and had a nice coal pile, I would start closing down the damper. Then adding one or two logs at a time.

The down side is you will get some smoke in the house and if the damper closes fully by itself you will get a lot of smoke in the house.

Obviously this is not healthy. So when I remodeled that room, I removed the fireplace and installed a free standing stove.

Most of these things are toys. Poorly designed and constructed toys. "Placewherefireburns." Most are built on the end of the house, with the masonry on the outside. It's all bad news. So it's impossible to have a fruitful or even interesting discussion. A study recently posted on this site involved "fireplaces" in DALLAS TX. Really? Talk about a joke. If I had the "placewherefireburns" posted above, I'd be looking to put in an insert, or whatever, if I could afford it.

Reactions: bholler
Most of these things are toys. Poorly designed and constructed toys. "Placewherefireburns." Most are built on the end of the house, with the masonry on the outside. It's all bad news. So it's impossible to have a fruitful or even interesting discussion. A study recently posted on this site involved "fireplaces" in DALLAS TX. Really? Talk about a joke. If I had the "placewherefireburns" posted above, I'd be looking to put in an insert, or whatever, if I could afford it.
Well said. Fireplaces absolutely can be built that will contribute heat to the home. Yes they are still pretty inefficient but they atleast make heat. Unfortunately the vast majority are not constructed in that way and changing the design is very expensive. So inserts are a better option