Not keeping up...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
This cold snap is really making me regret crapping out on all the insulation and house tightening projects earlier this year. Particularly the permanent steel block off plate.

This little old stone house is cold! We ran the gas for about an hour this morning and another 45 minutes tonight.

The thermostat is in the warmest part of the stove room, so we just turn it all the way up to run it until we get comfy, then back down to 60°. Only goes on by itself at 60 when we are at work and it's real cold out.

Relocation of the thermostat was another job that I've been putting off. Also, insulating the iron pipes between the furnace and radiators.

I'd rather cut, haul, and split (maybe even stack), and much rather garden.

Paying for that now, with no end in sight.

It was 18 today. Its already 12 out now.. and the winds are picking up. The stove is doing the job for shore but my stove is now needing to be cleaned out like every couple days. I am running the stove all day like 400-500 degrees to keep up. At midnight last night i got up and my home was 70. Right now its 69, but i have a feeling tomorrow i will have to run it a little hotter to keep up.. its supposed to be 20 to 30mph winds
You'll be ok Ed. Make your list and just start knocking it out

Reminds me of the story of Ant & the Grasshopper. Guess which one you are Grasshopper.

Reminds me of the story of Ant & the Grasshopper. Guess which one you are Grasshopper.
Well, on the other hand I did put up about 15 cords of wood cut split and stacked (and two or three more for the parents), fed the family (and some of the neighborhood) through late summer with the garden, put in a new electric panel, re-plumbed about half the house, including new water closet and utility faucet in the cellar, new washer and dryer, including running a gas line to the new gas dryer, tore down plaster and lath in 3/4 in the stove room, mowed about 1.5 acres mostly by hand bi-weekly, collected all the autumn leaves with the leaf vac for the garden, and, went to the full time office job to buy the gas for the furnace...

:)

Last edited:
The cold snap for the last week is a real test. Every night has been around 0 with winds. Last night it was -6. I can do it with only the stove. But I'm a bit lazy this year, and let the heat kick on at 65. I'm burning through a lot of wood.

This week is going to be more of the same

I heat with the Woodstock ph. Up here north of boston it's ~10 f day and night, with winds often>10mph The globe says it's the coldest cold snap since 1917

I've got two Fujitsu 12k btu/hr heat pumps, one upstairs, one downstairs... but they only manage to keep the house at 63f in this weather. Good, but not great

We wake up to about 4" of glowing coals in the stove each more. Good news is I have not used a fire starter in ages... just rake the coals and throw on a splt

My two Woodstock stoves keep the house warm but I ran the furnace just to get some heat into the basement to keep the pipes happy.

First time I ever worried about that in 20 years.

Same here bud..didn't get some of what I wanted done myself..did get all my new windows installed and sealed some other areas around the house sealed..but sometimes other chores have to just take over... especially in the summer..

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
The PE is keeping our 2 upper levels toasty fairly easy but the remote duct for the basement can't keep up. I've got the L.P. fireplace in the basement supplementing heat. We actually had a water line freeze up on us due to poor or lack of fiberglass in the rim. Nothing damaged but I had to tear out the ceiling in the basement bath to reinsulate and thaw out.