Not heating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mooch

Jan 23, 2019
Jm
Hi I'm new to this site. This fall I installed a osburn Stratford zero clearance. My concern is that it doesn't heat the room it's in over 70° room size is 16x16 and open to kitchen which is 18x18. Am I doing something wrong, is anybody else having these same issues. Was hoping to same money on heating bill. That hasn't happened. Also it claims to heat 2100 sq ft. Any help would be appreciated

Hi I'm new to this site. This fall I installed a osburn Stratford zero clearance. My concern is that it doesn't heat the room it's in over 70° room size is 16x16 and open to kitchen which is 18x18. Am I doing something wrong, is anybody else having these same issues. Was hoping to same money on heating bill. That hasn't happened. Also it claims to heat 2100 sq ft. Any help would be appreciated
Ok can you tell us how you are running the stove. And how long your wood has been cut split and covered. Better yet do you know the moisture content of your wood?

Outside fresh air is wide open. Wood has been cut for 1 year. No I do not know the moisture content

Outside fresh air is wide open. Wood has been cut for 1 year. No I do not know the moisture content
Well you will get allot more heat out of it by shutting the air back right now you are sending most of your heat out the chimney.

When you say it has been cut for a year has it been cut split stacked off the ground and top covered for a year? Even if it has been chances are it is still not dry enough

I was keeping the air open only to keep the temp up in fire box. I would have to say the wood wasn't split and stacked. And that the moisture level is higher than it should be.

When you say 1 year when exactly was it cut? Was it standing live when cut or barkless and laying on the ground? This is mid January now, when was it split and stacked ?

I was keeping the air open only to keep the temp up in fire box. I would have to say the wood wasn't split and stacked. And that the moisture level is higher than it should be.
That is your problem you need dry wood for the stove to work properly. Water really doesnt burn well.

Try getting some skids or untreated construction scraps and see if it works better. The compressed wood blocks are a good solution as well but not exactly cheap.

It was standing dead ash trees. Approximately cut them down 2 years ago. Cut to 16inch pieces and then stacked. Uncovered. Didnt split till early this fall

It was standing dead ash trees. Approximately cut them down 2 years ago. Cut to 16inch pieces and then stacked. Uncovered. Didnt split till early this fall
Yeah you have wet wood for sure

Fork up some dough and buy a couple bundles at the hardware or grocery and see what that will do.
Many times those bundles are wet as hell. They are only run through a kiln long enough to kill and bugs not long enough to dry it.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Re split everything you can and stockpile at least 3-4 days worth inside , get pallet wood as suggested above this will get you through the season

Zero clearance. I don't know anything about Osburn Stratford but that sounds like something that should have a block off plate? Does it?

Sure sounds like wet wood, but there could be install issues as well, since we don't know anything about that aspect.

Thanks for all the great tips. So pine wood from pallets is ok to burn?

Pine from pallets is fine to burn, just be careful as pallets made for international transport may be pressure treated. Those you do not want to burn. Mix some in with your wet wood to get it burning better. If you can bring some of your wet wood inside and let it sit by the stove for a few days, that plus some pallet wood mixed in should make a big difference.

just to rule this out, I had a room that wasn't getting warm and the issue was vaulted ceilings. One a ceiling fan was in place problem fixed.

Block off plate? For outside air or inside air?

Inside. Stops room air & heat from going up your chimney cavity.

It does sound like your wood is wet, but we don't know anything much about how it was installed. If not done right, a lot of heat could be going up. Instead of out. So you could have more than one issue.

Pics & details of the install would help to clarify.

Thanks for all the great tips. So pine wood from pallets is ok to burn?[/QUOTEsome may have pine slats , but most are made of locust oak poplar and fir , personally I’ve never had any issues with pine ( burn a mix if you have ) as long as you aren’t packing stove with pine and damping down all incoming air

Fork up some dough and buy a couple bundles at the hardware or grocery and see what that will do.
Many times those bundles are wet as hell. They are only run through a kiln long enough to kill and bugs not long enough to dry it.
We went to someone's house who had bought some gas station Oak to burn outside at a party. It would barely burn, and water was bubbling out the ends of the splits.
After you have been burning a new load for twenty minutes, and open the stove door, is the wood hissing or bubbling water out the ends?
If you have access to more of this dead Ash, and can split and stack it now, it may not be perfect but it will burn decent next fall. Or if you can go out now and cut small <8" dead standing trees with the bark off, that should burn OK right now..

Reactions: Stinkpickle
It is a sealed unit with 4inch outside air intake. Yes it does his and bubble water. What % moisture should I b at 20% or less?

It is a sealed unit with 4inch outside air intake. Yes it does his and bubble water. What % moisture should I b at 20% or less?
Yes under 20%

Thanks for all the tips. With properly dried wood,on average with a good hot fire. What temps can I expect the room to reach, say on a 25° day. I know a lot of different factors come into play, but ballpark numbers

Thanks for all the tips. With properly dried wood,on average with a good hot fire. What temps can I expect the room to reach, say on a 25° day. I know a lot of different factors come into play, but ballpark numbers
There are way too many factors to even give you a ballpark.