Not bad for a non cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Loaded the Summit at midnight, just reloaded at 2:30 PM, 14-1/2 hours with plenty of coals. Woke up to 66 opened the air a bit, house at 68 upon reload.
Not too shabby.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Not bad for a non cat
    SAM_4657.webp
    28.4 KB · Views: 493
    SAM_4658.webp
    49.4 KB · Views: 485
    SAM_4660.webp
    25.8 KB · Views: 489
Nice what kind of wood are you using over night and what kind is that in the picture, I can easlily get 11 hours out of oak (more if I wanted), if I could get the higher temps out of my summit I would be happy but I hope to do something with the chimney this summer. My house is a little chilly in below 0 south wind conditions.

Not too shabby indeed! Those PE non cats have a good rep for long burns. But I have to tell ya, I can get that with half that wood. :coolgrin:

oldspark said:
Nice what kind of wood are you using over night and what kind is that in the picture, I can easlily get 11 hours out of oak (more if I wanted), if I could get the higher temps out of my summit I would be happy but I hope to do something with the chimney this summer. My house is a little chilly in below 0 south wind conditions.

The loads I use are mixed this year. I found for me, that all oak, leaves too much coals, no matter what. This is a mix of walnut, white oak, cherry, and one I am not familiar with. Had an reddish orange color with almost blood red veins of what appears to be resin. Almost reminds me of some type of evergreen.

As far as temps, I found mine gives lots of heat at about 700, usually settles down to about 650 for several hours, the slowly declines. Was at about 200 at reload.
I usually do 3x a day every 8 hrs feedings, but have been experimenting with 2- 12hr feedings. When it is single digits with wind, or ) or below, it does get tough to stretch the burn times. And the house temp is more in the mid 60's, waking up to 60 or low 60's on the coldest mornings. Asking an insert to heat an entire 2600sf home at below ) is sometimes alot to ask. Setup of the home will dictate how well it can be done. I have a very open set up, but once I have the addition complete and the new Summers Heat 30 hooked up, I am sure there will be plenty of heat around the whole house.
Once the stove gets over 650, you can notice the difference in house temp and how quick it may rise. To me, seems like the next tier of heat output.
After a few years, still experimenting and finding balance. Fan makes a big difference. As does the ceiling fan I run which does a very nice job of circulating the air in the house.

Todd said:
Not too shabby indeed! Those PE non cats have a good rep for long burns. But I have to tell ya, I can get that with half that wood. :coolgrin:

I do about 3/4 cord a month, maybe more with the colder winter this year. Loaded 3-1/2 cord on the porch At end of November, have about 1/2 cord in the house and another 3/4 to a cord still on the porch

Can't complain if it's heating 2600 sq ft, that's pretty dang good especially if you can get away with 2 loads per day.

Todd said:
Can't complain if it's heating 2600 sq ft, that's pretty dang good especially if you can get away with 2 loads per day.

Todd,
Don't get me wrong. at highs in the teens and lows in low teens, single digits, 2x a day ain't gonna happen. At that point I am 3x. anything 20-25 and above, then yes 2x may be achievable.
I was just stuck on loading 3x a day for the past few years, like clockwork. And found that it was more habit(bad habit) then necessity. Got to re-evaluate when the temps change to adjust the loading & burning temps & frequency.

I did go from 68 to 70 in about 1/2 hour, bet your soapy can't do that? LOL

I loaded the 30 at eight thirty last night. Will have coals at six tonight to reload. Of course that is after banking the coals this morning at nine o'clock and just going with the electric heaters during the day since it is 45 degrees outside and sunny. Two bucks worth of electricity is easier than fooling with wood and overheating the joint today.

By stove makers standards it will be a twenty something hour burn. :lol:

The Pacific will have raked coal bed like that after 8-10 if I load it right, holds the house (upper level, 1500 SF) at 65 minimum for 10 hours or so on a mixed load of wood. You're right, Hogs, a mix is better than straight oak, to many coals, and waste some pine getting the bed down.

Love the avatar, Hogs (broken image removed)

Hogwildz said:
Todd said:

Todd,
Don't get me wrong. at highs in the teens and lows in low teens, single digits, 2x a day ain't gonna happen. At that point I am 3x. anything 20-25 and above, then yes 2x may be achievable.
I was just stuck on loading 3x a day for the past few years, like clockwork. And found that it was more habit(bad habit) then necessity. Got to re-evaluate when the temps change to adjust the loading & burning temps & frequency.

I did go from 68 to 70 in about 1/2 hour, bet your soapy can't do that? LOL

Once you get that 30 installed you could probably get in the habit of burning that Summit 2 loads per day and use the 30 to help out boost up the temps.

Yeah, it takes a little longer than a 1/2 hour to get my temps up with the Fireview alone, but they also seem to hang on a little longer with the soapy than my previous steel stoves. You will like the 2nd stove, I can get my place up to 90 if I have them both blazin.

I am now officially jealous. Please arrange for a couple boxes of oak to be shipped for me to test with so that I can prove this is possible. >:(

BrotherBart said:
I loaded the 30 at eight thirty last night. Will have coals at six tonight to reload. Of course that is after banking the coals this morning at nine o'clock and just going with the electric heaters during the day since it is 45 degrees outside and sunny. Two bucks worth of electricity is easier than fooling with wood and overheating the joint today.

By stove makers standards it will be a twenty something hour burn. :lol:

Not quite as good, but considering my 2.5 cu.ft smoke dragon is no monster EPA stove....

18 hours after a full load of black birch (11 PM last night to 5 PM this afternoon) I went down to fire up the stove. Stove top was still 150º, plenty enough coals to start the next fire. Pics after ashes were removed and coals pulled together. No smoldering burn, either. Note the "bag of flour" look to the inside of the stove (pic looks a bit weird in spots because I had to photomerge two halves pics of the stove into one panorama shot). Not bad at all for a non-cat, non-EPA medium size stove... if I do say so myself.

No earlier banking of coals, no electric heaters, daytime high 33º and sunny, inside temp 69º upstairs from a basement install in a small 1 1/2 story home. And I agree about the wasting of wood to overheat the place, which is why no daytime fire today.

Attachments

Stove-After-18-hours.webp
    120.6 KB · Views: 339
    Stove-Top-Temp-At-18-Hours.webp
    219.4 KB · Views: 366
    Stove-White-Inside.webp
    89.8 KB · Views: 366
Lookin good BK. Just checked the Kill A Watt as the stove is starting up. Fifty nine cents worth of electric for the heater today. Hopefully I can financially recover from it. I sure wish there was just a tiny bit of solar gain downstairs in this house on sunny days. It just isn't possible given our lack of windows facing south.

Battenkiller said:

BK, two questions:

1. What is that tag that is hanging from the top right door.
2. Why is that imaged photoshopped?

Just curiosity, not criticism.

Since I have tamed my draft issues, I have been able to go longer in between loads. I loaded a 1/2 load at 5:30am on a nice bed of coals and reloaded at 4:30pm. It was between 25-30 out today so it was a little warmer. When I reloaded it was 72 in the house. I can't complain. I don't see some of the burn times you guys see with your large fireboxs because our furnace is operated from a thermostat and not manually. If I didn't have a call for heat often from the home, I could go 10-12 hours on a normal load.

BrowningBAR said:
BK, two questions:

Tag? The door latch? Not sure what you mean.

I had to take two shots because there is only about 3' in front of the stove (6 1/2' high wall of wood is in the way) and my P&S camera won't go that wide. I just wanted a shot of the whole stove is the reason I photomerged the two shots. Here's another view of my setup. Once again, photomerging was necessary to get the whole scene in. The fan on the right is off now because the wood is getting too damn dry for my taste.

So, what to do you think it would look like with glass in the windows? My local VC repairman said he could fit glass to the doors (don't know how, but he is a whiz), but he said it would be black withing 10 minutes. There's no soot at all on the doors. The black marks on the right door are the metal where some of the fly ash got rubbed off. Do you really have to have an air wash if you burn real hot like I do? I'd love to see what the fire looks like, but opening the doors or top when in downdraft mode is not possible.

Attachments

Stove-Setup.webp
    142.9 KB · Views: 265
Battenkiller said:
BrowningBAR said:
BK, two questions:

Tag? The door latch? Not sure what you mean.

I had to take two shots because there is only about 3' in front of the stove (6 1/2' high wall of wood is in the way) and my P&S camera won't go that wide. I just wanted a shot of the whole stove is the reason I photomerged the two shots. Here's another view of my setup. Once again, photomerging was necessary to get the whole scene in. The fan on the right is off now because the wood is getting too damn dry for my taste.

So, what to do you think it would look like with glass in the windows? My local VC repairman said he could fit glass to the doors (don't know how, but he is a whiz), but he said it would be black withing 10 minutes. There's no soot at all on the doors. The black marks on the right door are the metal where some of the fly ash got rubbed off. Do you really have to have an air wash if you burn real hot like I do? I'd love to see what the fire looks like, but opening the doors or top when in downdraft mode is not possible.

Ah! The latch. It looked like some sort of plastic tag in the photo.

In regards to your glass door statement, is it possible to pick up another set of doors? I kind of think the doors would become very ashy and nearly opaque looking in a short time. I don't think they will turn black due to the fact that it is dry wood.

The other thing is that this is a basement install. It's not like ambiance is a key factor. So, you would only be doing this for sh*ts and giggles and the occasional "how's it burning" moment.

BrowningBAR said:
I don't think they will turn black due to the fact that it is dry wood.

Well... the wood ain't always so dry. :red:

Still, no matter what the MC of the wood, the inside always looks like that in the morning. Same with the flue pipe. You can always see the seams and the rivets, always covered with white ash no matter what kind of wood I burn. I always run the stove on the hot side, but I never put unseasoned wood in it unless the stove is so hot that the wood lights immediately after dropping it in. It never just sits and smolders, so it never smokes bad.

Won't make any difference. Without the air wash the glass is gonna be the coolest spot in the stove and the gunk will stick to it. Had glass in the doors in my old stove and they crapped up pretty fast even with a rudimentary air wash system. Sierra didn't gasket the top of the glass in an effort to pull air down over the glass and to provide secondary air under the baffle. It kinda, sorta worked but the glass still got crapped up.

Status
Not open for further replies.