Non UL listed wood stove question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

00Buck

Hearth Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Youta
I just purchased a barely used wood stove. The stove was manufactured by "Baffle Stove Company" of Salt Lake City. The stove was made in the early 80's as noted on the tag on the side of the stove. I purchased the stove since my parents have one just like it and I knew it put out a lot of heat.
Here's my question- Is there anything that I should be concerned about since it does not have a UL approved tag on it? The stove is made from 1/4 inch steel plate.

By the way. I love this website- so much to read and learn.

thank you, Mark

I would be concerned about the fast that to have it legally installed it must be 36" away from any combustible wall. Unless you build approved heat shields as outlined in NFPA 211.

The stove would be sitting on a concrete floor with 5 feet clearance on right and left sides of stove. I am going to put it where my existing heat vaccum (fireplace) used to be. There will be several modifications made to the fireplace walls prior to install, I am still working on those details.
I do some more searching on NFPA 211, all I found when I searched a few days ago was all about proper chimney installation.

Thanks for the replies.

Mark

I would be concerned with its appetite. But if your parents already have one, you are familiar with that.

You may also want to check with your insurance company. Some of them frown on non-UL listed installs.

NFPA 211 is a full code book, I had to pay $80 or so to get my copy...

You wont find it just searching around.

There are a few pages in there about wall clearances and reduction methods.

NFPA 211 is a "Standard", issued by a multi-disciplinary industry group. There are myriad examples of the same thing across the spectrum of applied engineering. NFPA 211 is not a "code" (law). However, since the standard is pretty much universally accepted as being authoritative, and most local governments simply don't have the expertise to write their own comprehensive codes from scratch, many of them adopt the industry standards as "code". Whether or not NFPA 211 is code where you live is something you need to find out. It may well be the code, or it may be the case that the local Authority Having Jurisdiction has adopted sections of it as written but modified others. You need to find out who it is that must approve your stove installation, and just what your local code requires. Rick

I found the needed info including several diagrams on NFPA yesterday under Chapter 12 Solid Fuel-Burning Appliances. There are several diagrams including 12.6.2.1 that were very helpful. I was more concerned about the stove itself. The stove will be surrounded by reinforced concrete block which will give it a 3 hr rating per SCOPES.

thank you

Mark -

Status
Not open for further replies.